Chinese-Forums

Eggplants and Chinese believe

Patrick_ChineseForum

Hello,

Since when I was young, I loved eating eggplants. My mom always told me not eat it too much because it was bad for eye sight (oh and bamboo shoot was also bad, but that's the different topic). Anyhow I did some googling and couldn't find any scientific evidence about it. Is it just a Chinese believe? Her parents (aka my grandparents) migrated from southern province of China decades ago. How true is this believe? Is there any fact in it? Please feel free to share your experience.

Thanks,

I'm addicted to aubergines, and my favourite dish is 鱼香茄子. I hate carrots in any shape or form.

My eyesight is not quite 20/20, but it's not bad enough to suspect any negative influence is being exerted by the mighty purple vegetable.

imron: :-D ha ha ha That's a good one. So true! Carrot has a plenty of vitamin A which is really good for eye health. Nice thought imron. I'll eat more carrot to counter the effect of eggplant rumor.

renzhe: "aubergines"? I almost thought it was pinyin :-) hee hee Ok I just looked up the dictionary. I don't think we use such word in the states. Cool. Learn something new everyday.

skylee: 涼? The Chinese English dictionary translated it to "the five Liang of the Sixteen Kingdoms" or cold. Is it suppose to be the food that could cure 上火 (excessive internal heat)?

Thanks for your replies.

I also googled it and it seems it is mildly poisonous because of solanine. I have never heard anything about it being bad for eyesight but my TCM textbook says it can cause diarrhea and that pregnant women shouldn't eat it. On the other hand it can 清熱解毒 and can help with clearing excessive heat. My book says it should be cooked with warm things like onion, ginger, garlic,... in order to make it balanced.

• Like 2

xiaocai, thanks for the keyword "alkaloids". Finally I could successfully get useful info out of google!

try rubbing eggplant pulp on your scalp and see what will happen
:-) hee hee I may not be a good candidate because I still have a decent amount of hair on my head (even though it's not as thick as when I was in my teen).

You'll have to rub A LOT of eggplant on your head. From wikipedia, "Eggplant is richer in nicotine than any other edible plant, with a concentration of 100 ng/g (or 0.01 mg/100g). .... On average, 20 lbs (9 kg) of eggplant contains about the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette."

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

I generally don't trust anything my mother says lol. I usually have to look up stuff they say online.

Take "hot air" (yeet hay) for example. What is that REALLY now? I keep asking parents and no one can give a consistent answer lol.