Chinese-Forums

奋斗 movie/tv show recommendations

insighter

I've recently been really trying to get into Chinese entertainment media to boost my listening comprehension but it's been hard. Ok, the Chinese somewhat difficult but what's even more of a challenge is finding something interesting and watchable, even though I have cable in China. I'm somewhat picky in regards to what I watch, for example I will pretty quickly give up on older and poorly produced Western films/shows and stop watching them.

I have seen some of the excellent threads on Chinese media here but I still haven't been successful in finding anything so I am hoping for some recomendations based off a movie I recently watched called 奋斗(http://www.tudou.com...YJz0vdgTlE.html). It seems like it was the movie version of the show 奋斗 (the show version I never got into) but it had high quality productions values as well as pretty funny banter and dialogues going on. I would never normally watch a Western Rom-com friends drama type movie like this, but I've found these types of Chinese movies to have very understandable and useful conversational styles. I also think it's easier for Chinese studios to pull-off a successful movie of this type...they have a lot of practice.

If anyone is familiar with this particular movie or others like it, do you know of any other movies or tv shows that would be similarly enjoyable? Anything that is of a somewhat high quality and entertaining is welcome, regardless of genre. A TV show would be the holy grail because it is something I could keep watching for a while but it seems studious don't invest in them like they do movies. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Yeah, you could start with the 奋斗 TV show, for which complete vocabulary lists, and many plot summaries are available.

Or find something that's more interesting for you. Lots of the stuff we've covered in the Grand First Episode project is weak, but there are some really good shows in there.

Alternatively, for an anti-rom-com with funny banter, you could check 男人帮.

You might enjoy 失恋33天.

Unfortunately, my ultimate recommendation is to just watch stuff and not worry too much about quality. I dislike almost everything on American TV, but at the same time I think American TV is much more watchable than Chinese TV. One possible strategy for someone with high standards is to pretend you are critic when you're watching the show -- that way you focus more on the performances, plot structure, cinematography, etc. rather than simply consuming the work.