Chinese-Forums

Violence against foreigners in Beijing?

carlo

Don't hit on girls who are with a big group of guys. Even if none is her boyfriend, if she is hot they probably all want to sleep with her and will feel like you are moving in on their turf.

Especially when you are a foreigner, hot girl is Chinese, and big group of guys have a big chip on their shoulder about how the foreigners get all the hot Chinese girls.

Especially especially when the flames of xenophobia have recently been fanned over a "bad" foreigner sexually assaulting a "pure" Chinese girl.

I went to Sanlitun yesterday and didn't die. Sorry to disappoint :D I didn't notice anything being different from before and I didn't see any violence, but that doesn't prove anything of course. What I will say is that a lot of my acquaintances are frequent flyers in Sanlitun but none of them have been assaulted or the like. There might of course be an increase in violence, but it's probably not that big, otherwise the news would be all over campus already.

• Like 1

Although Chinese still tend to both romanticize and demonize a variety of Western institutions and individuals when considering them from afar, the general trend has been to treat foreigners as, well, normal people when dealing with them face-to-face. I.e., less entitled to special treatment.

As a result, if random violence is on the rise, and inhibitions that had previously insulated and isolated foreigners have declined, then this combination will naturally lead to more foreigners being involved in these scrapes. Making the occurence of such events more likely is also the growing number of foreigners in China.

Alcohol consumption and heavy drinking seem to be on the rise in China, which is yet another factor that will lead to more fights.

So, when foreigners get beat up, it doesn't necessarily indicate anti-foreign sentiment. It can reflect these other factors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...