Chinese-Forums

涮羊肉

Ian_Lee

Is there any fans of 涮羊肉?

涮羊肉 should be the most intriguing food to southern Chinese like me. First, for many years I don't know how to pronounce the character 涮 (hardly anybody I know is sure how to pronounce it in Cantonese). Second, how should I 涮 the 羊肉 in the hot pot?

But when I was a kid, I really loved 涮羊肉. I loved the pre-eating preparation -- the mixing of about dozen kinds of sauce by my own.

Lately I heard there is a new 涮羊肉 eatery gaining popularity in Beijing and it even opened branch in Hong Kong. The name of the restaurant is called 小肥羊. In Hong Kong, it is so popular that you won't have a table until 11 p.m. if you do not make reservation.

And one of the selling points of this restaurant is that unlike all 涮羊肉 eateries, this one does not provide any sauces which means that its broth in the hot pot is well seasoned.

Another selling point is that it boasts that all their muttons are directly shipped from the butchered goats raised in Xilinhot League, Inner Mongolia.

Why do they particularly choose the goats raised there? Because there is no muttony smell. Why is there no muttony smell? Because the goats in Xilinhot eat grass as well as sand (probably due to the frequent sandstorm) which can get rid of the bodily odor from their meat.

小肥羊 has restaurants all over China, including two here in little old Liuzhou.

They are very popular and it is really advisable to book (especially at weekends and holidays.) If you turn up late for your booking, they will have given away your table to someone in the long queue outside.

They have a website (Chinese only) here.

I also love 涮羊肉, have been to 小肥牛 in Beijing, but I think the best way to experience it is at home with friends, there's something feral about downing several 斤 of mutton with erguotou around a fuming pot.

I also love 涮羊肉, have been to 小肥牛 in Beijing, but I think the best way to experience it is at home with friends, there's something feral about downing several 斤 of mutton with erguotou around a fuming pot.

We do it at home, using a yin-yang pot. I get the spicy side, and most of the mutton (and other meats) end up in my side 8)

• 5 months later...

The Hong Kong Island Branch of 小肥羊 at Causeway Bay Square got a very good deal which I just tried.

During the afternoon hours (2:00-3:45), you can order as many dim sum (Cantonese, Peking and Mongolian types) as you want for HK$40 (US$5).

The Peking-style dim sum 口水鸡 is particularly yummy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...