Chinese-Forums

compound complement of direction

youreskimofriend

你怎么还没想她的名字

你怎么还没想她的名字起来

I think 想起 is a closely bound (compound) verb, while 拿...过 is not a compound verb. Hence I wouldn't split 想起 and insert the object.

If you insert 不 into 想起, you get the two possibilities

1) 想不起他的名字(来)

2) *想他的名字不起(来)

Clearly (at least to me), only no. 1 works. The reason being that the object can't be put into a split compound verb like 想起. To look at another example, 打开 can't have the object inserted: *打开(来)

In contrast, 拿[object]过来 seems like a fixed structure to me. I can't quite think of similar expressions at the moment, but 拿过[object]来 seems odd. So would 拿过[object]去.

@skylee & semantic nuance with regard to #15 and #17

Just curious, what about:

你怎么还没想她的名字

你怎么还没想她的名字起来

I think skylee and semantic nuance were concerned mainly about the ambiguity of 过 immediately following a verb, and not all compound compliments. However, I think in the Mainland, the general trend is just the 来 that is separated, even if it happens to be part of a 过来 combination:

他从书架上拿出一本词典来。

你们等一下儿,我马上开过车来。

Just like many other ambiguities, the context should make it clear what is meant in the speech situation.

For once, I wasn't trying to be ironic, I was actually wondering.

My Mandarin is very Mainland and I'm interested to know what skylee and semantic nuance think of similar sentences that use, as creamyhorror pointed out, verbs that may experience problems with blocking (when there is already semantic information encoded into a particular phonetic realization).