Chinese-Forums

Anti Japan protests in your town? 钓鱼岛

xiaoxiaocao

But do you seriously think that either country would care about these uninhabited, uninhabitable islands if it wasn't for the same old excuse for everything nasty - oil. It is nothing to do with nationalism or fishing. Oil. Oil. Oil. Got to keep your Ferrari moving.

Oil doesn't change the ownership.

Sounds like to be invaders are something that is honourable!

How on earth did you extract that from anything I said? I didn't mention either invaders or honour. But for the record, no I don't think invasion is honourable.

But I haven't seen anyone "invading" the islands. People tend to invade inhabited places. Rape and pillage on uninhabited islands tends to get a bit incestuous and, to be frank, boring.

Sometimes I think China should be given back to the Mongolians and just leave it all at that. :mrgreen:

Seems to me that there's no right or wrong or fairness or unfairness with these islands, so it comes to the status quo, how far one party will push in order to change the status quo, and how far the other party is willing to resist.

The protests are the subject of this thread: do we think they represent majority Chinese opinion? If China was democratic, would these islands more likely become part of the PRC (followed quickly, I suppose, by Taiwan)?

• Like 1

would these islands more likely become part of the PRC (followed quickly, I suppose, by Taiwan)?

Dunno, but the argument at the moment is whether they are Japanese or part of Taiwan - not the mainland. For once, Beijing is supporting Taiwan's claim (Taiwan being, of course, an integral part of The People's Republic.)

So, they would become part of Taiwan first, then maybe part of the PRC.

Why do you say the government is weak, exactly? Not disagreeing, I'm just not sure what 'weak' means in this context.

The Chinese government is always protesting, protesting, and protesting in face of provocations but rarely takes substantial actions to punish those who do not behave themselves.

What six words?

You replied to the question "Why do you say the government is weak, exactly?“ by saying that China does not take "substantial actions to punish those who do not behave themselves."

Which to any reasonable reader would imply that if they did take such actions, they would be less weak.

Yes, the Japanese government buying them was a calming measure, if the Tokyo guy had bought them things would have got a lot worse.

I wonder if this impacts on the jockeying for position in the Chinese leadership? Would who gets what post be all sorted out by now? Or, do these protests strengthen the hand of any one grouping in Beijing?

As bad as the protests have been, I'm guessing they'll eventually die out. I'm sure nobody really wants a war over tiny uninhabited islands (and ok, a nearby gas field) when statistics show that China and Japan are major trading partners. Still, the situation seems to be quite bad as Panasonic have closed their plants in China due to the protests. Hopefully it won't escalate further or else Asia will have a disaster on its hands.

I don't suppose the 1,000 or so boats headed towards the islands now are going to help anything. Brace yourselves for another few days of headaches.

http://www.japantime...20120917x1.html

Posts on Weibo claim there are in fact 10,000 headed to the islands, but I have a hard time believing that.