Chinese-Forums

the 了 should be 的 thing - Chinese grammar confusion

tooironic

so 他昨天是到北京的 is incorrect?

..... so confusing :help

Edit: Skylee always emphasises she's no grammar expert so by incorrect could be either (i) sounds wrong to a non-grammar-expert Chinese speaker or (ii) grammar-wise

I too find the sentence slightly unnatural. My interpretation:

他昨天是到北京的 = It was Beijing that he arrived at yesterday (and not somewhere else).

他是昨天到北京的 = It was yesterday that he arrived in Beijing.

Generally the second meaning is the one intended - which is probably why skylee said 是 should be shifted.

If:

他昨天是到北京的 = It was Beijing that he arrived at yesterday (and not somewhere else).

then surely the translation of the second sentence needs its own parenthesis:

他是昨天到北京的 = It was yesterday that he arrived in Beijing (and not some other day)

Isn't the same degree of emphasis present in both sentences?

To my inexpert ears 他昨天是到北京的 doesn't sound like it has to have any particular emphasis, though obviously if you stress the 到 (not 离开) or 北京 (not 上海) then you get that emphasis.

I still reckon that the main effect of the 是...的 is to show that the sentence is not commenting on 'the completion, duration and frequency' of the action.

他是昨天到北京的 = It was yesterday that he arrived in Beijing (and not some other day)

Isn't the same degree of emphasis present in both sentences?

Nah, 他是昨天到北京的 is the canonical/common form to my ears, in which 是...的 encapsulates everything but the subject. The 他昨天是到北京的 one sounds like a variant, which makes me look for a semantic reason for the shift. Maybe speakers from other regions have different perceptions, though.

I thought 是 should be placed immediately before what you want to emphasize?

是他昨天到北京的 = he arrived in Beijing yesterday (to correct someone else's misunderstanding - maybe they misheard and thought that I arrived in Beijing yesterday)

他是昨天到北京的 = he arrived in Beijing yesterday (not at some other time, can also be neutral explanation of circumstances)

他昨天是到北京的 = he arrived in Beijing yesterday (to correct someone else's misunderstanding - maybe they misheard and thought that he left Beijing yesterday)

The reason I think it's so weird to say 他昨天是到北京的 is that it sounds like the emphasis is on 到, not 到北京. It sounds like yesterday somebody arrived in Beijing rather than, I don't know, ate Beijing, sang Beijing, etc. Which is weird.

I hadn't listened to my Pimsleur lessons since 3-19-2013 because I had hit a major life bump, but I listened to my latest lesson again last night, and you are all correct -- I misquoted the sentence order -- which is actually given as 我是昨天到北京的。 And, thank you very much for the character corrections.