Chinese-Forums

Captivity in a Chinese prison (detention center)

alreadytaken

I don't. None of my business if the OP doesn't want to tell. I would like to know some kind of way to proof or verify that the OP was indeed in prison, but that's probably not going to be something they want to say on a public forum.

• Like 2

actually, I'm with Roddy. I'm curious about OPs nationality, what did he do, ultimate outcome.

also, this may sound awful to say, but after reading this,I don't agree that their prison system it's awful. bring in prison should be a punishment, to deter future crime.

• Like 2

That wasn't his punishment though - that was just waiting for trial (in the UK, being on remand. If you're later jailed time spent on remand is deducted from the sentence.) His punishment was a suspended sentence.

• Like 2

imron,

Yes, I noticed that article too, routine is very similar but there are many significant differences to it. Rules and condition may differ in different institutes but I guess that is how the system works in China.

大肚男.

I am American Chinese but I was charged as "Chinese citizen" with no exemption, stupid not to enter China with my US passport but they don't recognise due citizenship.

My "crime" is not actually considered a crime in any developed society, it's unbelievable if I told you how I got into this. It's not wise to publicise it as I don't know who may be reading my articles.

As for life in captivity, each day in jail seems like a year, in my cell are all kinds of people, thieft, assault, murder, college student, business owner, civil servant, even Hong Kong and Taiwanese citizen. A lot of them has a tragic story to tell, justice left unattended, China is lawless, my experience let me know how dark China's legal system is.

• Like 1

Continue your story, it's interesting. But to date the problems seem to be boredom, bad food and a bit of physical labour. No picnic, but hardly anything Amnesty is going to get too worked up about.

• Like 2

I am American Chinese but I was charged as "Chinese citizen" with no exemption, stupid not to enter China with my US passport but they don't recognise due citizenship.
I thought it was impossible to be Chinese and also something else. I wonder how you managed to keep your Chinese passport. But I suppose that's something for another thread. Btw, even if China would recognise that you had Chinese and also American nationality, to my knowledge that wouldn't have helped. If you have nationalities A and B and get in trouble in country A, country B won't (or can't) do anything about it formally.

The one thing that strikes me is why treatment seems so different. You hear stories about people disappearing and brutality, but then, the treatment which the OP got was arguably unpleasant, but not inhumane in my eyes. Same goes for the account that roddy provided in his link^.

• Like 2

If you have nationalities A and B and get in trouble in country A, country B won't (or can't) do anything about it formally.

Country B can't do much about it even if you are just a Country B national, assuming you're being dealt with according to whatever the local due process is. Generally I think you'll get a consular visit to check all as it should be, maybe some advice on lawyers, and your family might get some help facilitating visits. Depends on who and where you are, of course. We can add degree of consular assistance to the list of things we'd like to know.

Country B can't do much about it even if you are just a Country B national, assuming you're being dealt with according to whatever the local due process is. Generally I think you'll get a consular visit to check all as it should be, maybe some advice on lawyers, and your family might get some help facilitating visits. Depends on who and where you are, of course.
All those can be useful. The embassy or similar can also keep an eye on whether you're getting a fair trial and are not maltreated in jail. And if countries A and B have some relevant agreements, you might for example be able to spend your prison time in a prison in your own country.

Wow, this post attracts a lot of attention. I'll try to answer your questions one by one later after the story.

roddy:

To go on..

Environment

Each cell consisits of 2 chambers, the "indoor chamber" where we sleep and an open roofed "outdoor chamber" where we can walk and exercise during the day. There are, however few chances for inmates to leave the cell, except being summoned by the warden, police interrogators or visit for an attorney. (Visits from family and friends are not allowed, only a lawyer may come and see you as according to Chinese law, suspects detained for investigation stage receive no visitors.)

In the indoor chamber, there are 2 ceiling fans, a squat toilet at the back, a clock and TV above the wooden platform(our beds), two surveillance cameras on opposite sides of the room, a fixed bookshelf and a fixture to put our toothbrushes and mugs. Detainees has to put their stuff according to their number. There is also a large billboard full of "prison propaganda".

Hygiene conditions are terrible, 25 people all packed in a tiny room, toilet stinks, if someone farts the whole air is filled with smelly odor, very hard for detainee to get cleaned due to the primitive washing methods. A lot of detainees has skin disease, I was lucky not to get infected, although there is a prison doctor, but the doctor only distributes medicine with no medical knowledge, the wardens care less about your health, they are only there to make sure you won't kill yourself. I've seen an old man sent to the hospital after a heart attack, in fact he complained about his condition few days earlier but no one gives a damn.

Human nature

In my cell, detainees ranging from minor to serious offense, there are inmates for fraud, theft, murder, assault and white collar crimes. A jailhouse bully is put in charge of each cell. Everyone must respect and obey the bulliy otherwise he/they shall give you a hard time.The bully recruits henchmen to maintain his rule. Henchmen are in a higher position, they are given better food, perform less physical labour and could beat and punish people without consequences. I've seen people put down their dignity to build loyalty, people revealing their true nature once promoted as "henchmen". When I was in better relations with the bully, the lapdogs tried to befriend me, when he disliked me, they harassed me. Detainess would befriend those on early release asking them to pass messages to family members but once leave no one would really care. I've learn not to trust anybody in jail as most try to build a relationship for a specific purpose, e.g pretending to act as a nice guy trying to win support.

To be continued

• Like 4

My "crime" is not actually considered a crime in any developed society, it's unbelievable if I told you how I got into this. It's not wise to publicise it as I don't know who may be reading my articles.

If it's nothing major you're might as well tell us - if anyone who knows you identifies you as the author of these posts, they might assume it was something worse that it actually was .

• Like 1

Seriously, try to start a new life! Where are you now? Are you in China? Can you get a job?

Do not get stuck with whatever happened to you. It was an unpleasant experience, so what. Life goes on.

Some people have written books on their time behind bars. These people are:

1. People who have a talent for writing, such as Dostoyevsky. Do you think you can write a novel than would be on par with what Dostoyevsky wrote?

2. People who have a sensational story. Did your cell mate die in your arms? What happened to you is pretty normal, you didn't suffer that much. You seem to complain about not eating enough meat, it might actually be good for you.

You should tell us more about where are you with your life right now.

• Like 2

roddy

Because I've named the place, people could identify me, I was the only one charged with this crime in my cell, I don't know who might be reading this online.

Meng Lelan

I mentioned I've received a suspended sentence didn't I? The youngest was 18 year old, most inmates were 30 or above. I'll try to describe some of the inmates in the next post.

Angelina

Thank you, I'm leading a normal life now, people does not know what happened to me, so yeah things are staring to get back on track.

For the "sensational story", Yes I've met a lot of people with tragic events, some I believe is a miscarriage of justice, suffers because of China's inproper legal system. Although everyone will say they are innocent, as in the movie "shankshaw redemption" , it's up to you to decide.