Chinese-Forums

whats the percentage of Chinese that go to to mcdonalds?

civic94

in america, most poor folks go there because its cheap, for 1 dollar you can get something to eat.

how about in china? do only the middle class can afford it? Or is it wide spread? I just want to compare the standard of living. thanks

In mainland China McDonalds has traditionally been seen as a high-class restaurant, mostly because when it first arrived its prices (which were set at western levels) were far above most local restaurants, meaning that only the wealthy could afford to eat there and so it acquired a sort of elite reputation, e.g. if you ate at McDonalds then you were almost certainly wealthy and so it also became somewhere that people aspired to be able to go and eat (or been seen eating) - I knew a group of students who once spent an entire week's worth of food money on a single meal at McDonalds just so they could see what it was like, and had to then spent the next week eating nothing but plain rice.

Personally I've always found this complete reversal of status for McDonalds highly amusing.

In recent years, local inflation has been such that prices at ordinary restaurants have started to catch up to McDonalds, making it more affordable and less exclusive, so it's now something that the middle class could afford if they wanted to. That said, in smaller cities it's not that widespread and there may only be a single (or even no) McDonalds restaurants there.

Not sure how many Chinese people go to McDonalds but it's certainly not a super common thing - there aren't many around really, and the food at McDonalds still isnt really what people are familiar with.

KFC on the other hand, sells fried chicken, a concept which has been popular in Asia for a long long time. Stores easily outnumber McDonalds more than 2 to 1 in China (and in much of Asia). The menu is pretty localized but the fried chicken is still popular (with rice or some other local additions in most cases). A member of my team at work admitted that she believed KFC was a Chinese chain, and the first time she went to the USA she was happy to see she could eat some familiar Chinese food and wouldn't have to always eat American food. :lol:

• Like 1

In mainland China McDonalds has traditionally been seen as a high-class restaurant, mostly because when it first arrived its prices (which were set at western levels) were far above most local restaurants, meaning that only the wealthy could afford to eat there and so it acquired a sort of elite reputation, e.g. if you ate at McDonalds then you were almost certainly wealthy and so it also became somewhere that people aspired to be able to go and eat (or been seen eating) - I knew a group of students who once spent an entire week's worth of food money on a single meal at McDonalds just so they could see what it was like, and had to then spent the next week eating nothing but plain rice.

wow i never seen it like that. as far as in the states, only the poor and the obese would go, while average folks might go one is a while. I never thought it would be a expensive food item, i mean, i can see that eating healthier, you have to go to a chinese resturaunt where they have real veggies and meat, while mcdonalds just serves crap for your body - soda made of sugar, fries made of oil, and burgers made of mystery meat and super refined bread that is awful for you.

you have to go to a chinese resturaunt where they have real veggies and meat, while mcdonalds just serves crap for your body - soda made of sugar, fries made of oil, and burgers made of mystery meat and super refined bread that is awful for you.

What do you think Chinese fast food restaurants and food stalls sell?

• Like 1

What do you think Chinese fast food restaurants and food stalls sell?

I dont know, I never been to china before, at least not that i remember (was there when i was 10) I dont think there is chinese fast food in america, the clostest thing to "fast food" here is a takeout place with steamtables.

The food at Chinese buffet places in the U.S. is probably barely better than McDonald's, particularly since the meals aren't portioned. It might even be worse, not in terms of food quality, but in terms of calories in a single meal.

In China a lot of food is also low quality, and while the Western fast food chains are hit with scandals now and then, most Chinese believe they're "healthier" than cheap restaurants or fast food in China, in the sense of not being poisoned. No one knows where the poison food ends up, it's probably just as likely you'll eat cadmium rice at a high end restaurant as a low one, if you're in a province with bad pollution.

• Like 1

The food at Chinese buffet places in the U.S. is probably barely better than McDonald's, particularly since the meals aren't portioned. It might even be worse, not in terms of food quality, but in terms of calories in a single meal.

In China a lot of food is also low quality, and while the Western fast food chains are hit with scandals now and then, most Chinese believe they're "healthier" than cheap restaurants or fast food in China, in the sense of not being poisoned. No one knows where the poison food ends up, it's probably just as likely you'll eat cadmium rice at a high end restaurant as a low one, if you're in a province with bad pollution.

I can imagine that happening, just not knowing where the food came from and if its grown with polluted waters that causes cancer or some horrific disease.

Its a little eye opening for me to see that only better off folks afford mcdonalds, as Mcdonalds in americas is usually great for poor folks, getting a mcdouble for a dollar is probably cheaper than actually buying the materials to make one.

i have another question, on top of chinese thinking that food in mcdonalds is "healthier" as in it not killing them, but do they also think that maybe eating american stuff is exoctic or cool? or that it might have more nutrients/better for health/better for their kids so they can grow up big and tall like americans?

the reason I asked is because my parents are from china and i was born in america, and my mom thought going to mcdonalds would help me grow taller and bigger, but we didnt have much money so I ate there one per month (no harm done) but now I know Mcdonalds is full of stuff that kids/any humans should not eat everyday, its basically garbage.

on top of chinese thinking that food in mcdonalds is "healthier" as in it not killing them

I don't think many if any think that. They don't go to McDonalds for the food. It's fashion. Often driven by McDonald's targeting their advertising at kids. McD's and KFC are crammed full of children at weekends. This Saturday was Children's Day - celebrated in the ancient Chinese way - take your brat to KFC or McD's.The kids don't want to go for the food either. It's the toys!

I don't think many if any think that. They don't go to McDonalds for the food. It's fashion. Often driven by McDonald's targeting their advertising at kids. McD's and KFC are crammed full of children at weekends. This Saturday was Children's Day - celebrated in the ancient Chinese way - take your brat to KFC or McD's.The kids don't want to go for the food either. It's the toys!

haha yes i know, its every kids dream, especially your birthday at mcdonalds with your friends. I'm not sure if you watched "supersize me" by morgan Spurlock, if you have the chance to watch it, please do so. it just shows that there is really nothing healthy at mcdonalds and people should not eat it at all (coming from the doctors and dietitians on the movie), but now they have salads so its going the right direction.

I'm not here to bash on mcdonalds, but I really find it crazy that its a class thing in china, only the better off people can afford it. Over here its the cheapest takeout food anyone can buy, nothing is cheaper than mcdonalds/BK except if you go to a gas station and buy some hot dogs. i mean, for 2 bucks a person can get two mcdoubles and get full from it, nothing can come close to that kind of deal.

Some people say that if morgan spurlock had not drunk those huge portions of coke he would have been fine.

I think a lot of Chinese people are astonished that stir-fried rice is treated far more reverentially in the west than in china.

Everything in moderation.

Simple.

Eating at any fast food place or restaurants occasionally is fine.

A balanced diet is what is required.

I personally love MacD but only occasionally, 3 or 4 times a year maybe 5. If I ate it more it wouldn't be a treat and I probably would get sick of it.

I think a lot of Chinese people are astonished that stir-fried rice is treated far more reverentially in the west than in china.

But doesn't taste anywhere as good, or as cheap.

Personally, I only consume McDonalds when I'm drunk and am with friends that are craving it at the moment--and I always regret it the next morning.

McDonalds is seen as one of the best examples of Western food, so they can get away with higher prices, for simply being American and foreign.

Mcdonalds in americas is usually great for poor folks, getting a mcdouble for a dollar is probably cheaper than actually buying the materials to make one.

(...)

my mom thought going to mcdonalds would help me grow taller and bigger, but we didnt have much money so I ate there one per month

Not to criticise, and both of your statements are probably true, but I noticed that you say here that McDonald's is cheap and therefore ideal for poor people, and in the same breath you mention that your family was rather poor and therefore did not go to McDonald's.

Not to criticise, and both of your statements are probably true, but I noticed that you say here that McDonald's is cheap and therefore ideal for poor people, and in the same breath you mention that your family was rather poor and therefore did not go to McDonald's.

well my statement about mcdonalds helping kids grow taller, i know its not true, but my mom thought it was when i was a kid. Mcdonalds foods only have very high sugar, fat, calories, and the only good thing is the protein. If i had kids I would not let them eat it everyday, or even every week.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing about McDonalds in China is at least you know what you are getting (to an extent). Which in a lot of place's you don't! It is interesting to see the reversal of roles her in China and that McDonalds is more a status symbol.

Here (in Shanghai) it still seems quite popular and I tend to find them everywhere, as well as KFC. I never considered people going there couldn't afford the food, I just assumed it was casual and easy for them. In the UK McDonalds is exactly 'elite' but it is no longer cheaper, if you are paying £3 - £4 for a meal which you could spend on cooking for several people.

I often found it strange to see large groups of Chinese clutching Startbucks, when it will often cost 30 - 40 RMB per grande mocha/frappa/pesticideachino, and most of them are earning half or a quarter of their expat colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...

I find McDonalds is good for long trips. I've found that eateries near train stations often rely on 1 time customers traveling past and never returning. Hence they couldn't care less about the food. I remember a number of sick friends, and most never even finished the food near the Harbin train station some years back. At least in that respect it's pretty consistent and safe.

I do also remember going back to Australia and eating a McChicken Burger and finding the patty was a 100% processed brownish piece of crap I couldn't take a second bite from. Whereas what I had found in China was actually the right colour, you could see the sort of stringy meat effect and tasted just like chicken. That was a few years ago, but the comparison disgusted me.

On a similar note I've always found it humerous how Pizza Hut here is very expensive and eaten with knives and forks.

My younger Chinese friends always seem to have a bunch of McDonald's discount coupons in their pocket. It's almost a game to go there.

Seems strange, but the McDonald's I've been to in Kunming in recent years all make a big point of promoting healthy eating. They have wall signs and place mats with diagrams and discussion of the "healthy eating pyramid." You can read it while you drink your large sugar cola and eat your ketchup-soaked fries.

http://en.wikipedia...._eating_pyramid

If I go to McDonald's for lunch, a 套餐 combo meal will cost around 25 Yuan. If I go to a hole in the wall nearby for 快餐 I can have 2 + 3 for 10 Yuan. That's 2 荤菜 + 3 素菜 served on a large bed of rice. Often some free 泡菜 and usually a clear soup 清汤 are included. Much better deal.

• Like 1

I've noticed friends of mine on Weibo mentioning KFC, but never McDonalds...

I ate at McDonalds in Russia and I thought it was superior to the US :lol: Weird? Maybe, but the Big N' Tasty was really good! Maybe the quality is a bit different in China as well?

McDonald´s in China has definitely better quality of food than normal Chinese food stalls, you don´t know whether they r serving a rat or beef, in McDonalds you have at least some level of knowledge what do u eat... And as for Chinese going there- I think it is more popular among young people, they like to have meetings there, because it is taste of American life or they like to set up meetings there when they meet with a foreigner, however it is not majority of population