Chinese-Forums

素饺子

Bob Dylan Thomas

Has anyone got any ideas for fillings for making vegan jiaozi dumplings (no meat, poultry, fish or dairy products)?

I've tried a few experiments but none have been very tasty (the best was probably TVP and seaweed 紫菜素肉饺子 with lots of tamari)。 I once had tofu and spinach jiaozi in a restaurant in Taian, an unusual combination that didn't really work, but i rarely found jiaozi in mainland China that didn't contain meat, seafood or eggs. Perhaps posters from HK or Taiwan might have some better tips, since 素餐 seems more established there?

Here's a filling that I use for Shao Mai that looks pretty vegetarian. The base is sticky rice. I can't see why it can't be used for jiaozi.

Sticky rice / reconstituted Chinese mushroom / bamboo shoots / carrots / scallions / Sichuan preserved vegetable / sherry or ShaoHsing wine / soy sauce / sugar / black pepper.

If you are interested, I can give the amounts, but you can vary the filling as you wish. The thing is to wash the sticky (glutinous) rice till clear, soaking it in water for 1 hour, cooking it in boiling water 3 minutes, uncovered,---- then covered for 7 minutes. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables and seasons.

I tried su jiaozi with carrot, celery, cucumber and they good. I once tried Russian jiaozi with smashed potato as filling, tasted great!

Here's a filling that I use for Shao Mai that looks pretty vegetarian. The base is sticky rice. I can't see why it can't be used for jiaozi.

I think they have pork and extra animal oil in Shao Mai, at least here in Shanghai. :-?

• 2 weeks later...