Chinese-Forums

Do you like Chinese dishes or food? Woo, ask me!

Guest nitrogen

Do you like Chinese dishes or food?

Hello, dear friends! I am living in Nanjing, Jiangsu, China now. If you like Chinese food or dishes, I'd like to take about it with you. I will recommend a dish and : Explain what the dish is made of ;give you other relevant details like the history or the nutritional benefits. :shock:

How about the history and nutritional benefits of stinky tofu?

I certainly don't like it but I would like to hear your explanation.

Let me think. You certainly ask a interesting question. Stinky tofu is particularly traditional food in my hometown. It not only smells very stinky but also it tastes strange. To tell the truth, I don't like it. It was fried in low quility cooking oil. If you visit Nanjing, Jiangsu, China, you can try it ,but I suggest you taste it only once. Oh, I remember a saying in China. "Stinky tofu smells stinky, but tastes delicious!" Welcome to ask any question:)

Are you kidding? Put some wine into a jar of chou doufu and used it to cook with spinach. I know it can cook with a lot of vegetables, such as, celery, China weed(we called it luhao, it is speciality in my hometown, Nanjing, Chou doufu cooks with China weed is a famous dish and very delicious. ) You can find many pitchmans at the corner of the street sell chou doufu. Ah! You may feel staying in China really.

If you find any wrong in this reply, please tell me. I will pretty appreciate you!

Are you kidding? Put some wine into a jar of chou doufu and used it to cook with spinach. I know it can cook with a lot of vegetables, such as, celery, China weed(we called it luhao, it is speciality in my hometown, Nanjing, Chou doufu cooks with China weed is a famous dish and very delicious. ) You can find many pitchmans at the corner of the street sell chou doufu. Ah! You may feel staying in China really.

If you find any wrong in this reply, please tell me. I will pretty appreciate you!

The taste of Chou Doufu isn't soooo bad -- especially if you coat it in lajiao, but the smell totally turns me off. It reminds me of dry dog food for some reason. Unfortunately, most Yunnanese love their stinky tofu so the stuff is everywhere, no way to avoid it.

I have never tried "mainland style" chou doufu, infact, I just found out that chou doufu isn't native to the island of Taiwan two years ago.

With that said, I absolutely love chou doufu, Taiwanese style at least. I can't wait until I go to Beijing in two weeks to try the mainland style.

Taste, just like beauty, is purely subjective. It's no wonder that people dislike chou doufu. If I didn't grow up with it, I probably wouldn't like it either. I dislike eating steaks, or any big chunks of meat, but that doesn't mean steaks are absolutely horrible for everyone. Living in Texas, I know many people who enjoy a good chunk of meat.

• 1 month later...

Choudoufu used to be around every street corner in Hong Kong in the '60s and '70s.

But now they have all vanished.

I remember the hawkers used to shoulder a bamboo pool with one side holding a small wok of boiling oil and kerosene stove underneath while the other side holding stacks of choudoufu on the wooden shelf and hoisin and hot sauces on top.

When the hawkers team (govt team who specializes in arresting hawkers without licenses) did the raid, it was very scary that these choudoufu hawkers carried his stuffs and ran on the busy pavement to escape arrest.

But the stinky smell was omnipresent. My neighbors upstairs and downstairs were both British. Both households could not stand the smell. Whenever the hawker came by, they called the cops instantly.

Choudoufu was mostly deep-fried and only identified as a snack in Hong Kong and hardly appeared in any Shanghaiese restaurants.

Only in 1980s did I find a restaurant serving "steamed" Choudoufu. Its smell is even many times more stinky than the deep-fried.

Which is more stinky? Choudoufu or durian? I would say durian.

I have never tried Choudoufu so can't comment on it. But I quite like Durian despite its offensive smell, but can't eat too much bcoz the smell and taste are both overwhelming.

By the way, is Choudoufu ban in the airports and airplanes in China as Durian is ban in the airports, airplanes and some hotels of Malaysia and Indonesia....maybe Singapore and Thailand as well....not too sure on that.

Durian is in fact a very versatile fruit....it can be eaten on its own as a fruit, accompanied with rice, made into cakes, puddings, ice cream and cooked with vegetables and coconut gravy....and as far as i know its a nutritious fruit filled with CALORIES....in other words fattening.

• 8 months later...