Chinese-Forums

Which fish to buy?

ChTTay

@ChTay -- #21

弄成鱼排, as @Skylee suggested, works in Kunming. But it is an unusual request since most people will cook the fish whole. Usually have to say it a couple of times and supplement it with lame gestures.

If you have your fish filleted in the market, at least have them give you the rest of the (cleaned) fish so you can boil it for soup or stock. (You have already paid for the whole fish.)

Asking for 鱼片 just results in carved slices of fish flesh, not an intact fillet. I never tried 切片, as @Summer suggested.

@abcdefg

切片 only works when you buy very large fishes. 

My roommate likes buying grass carp to make spicy boiled fish slice, but it's too big to buy a whole one. So you can tell the seller to fillet some for you, just like "我要5块钱的鱼肉,麻烦帮我切成片" 

• Like 1

要5块钱的鱼肉already indicates that the shopper does not want a whole fish. Whether 切成片 would result in one big slice of fish (fillet) or small slices would depend on the situation, I guess. :P Perhaps ChTTay could do an experiment.