Chinese-Forums

Name in Chinese?

Skillty

Hi guys

I've been interested in China since like for ever. Starting with Chinese in September in my 4th year at university. Just wondering if someone could translate my name into Chinese. My name is Jelle Van den Eede. 

Thanks in advance guys

Jelle

I suggest you first start with Chinese and study for a while, and once you get an idea of what Chinese is, how it sounds, how names work etc, then think about a name again. By then, you can ask your teacher, or come back here.

Good luck studying! I hope you enjoy it. Where are you going to study it?

Well, 范 is very close, but if you're going to use that for all names with Van in it, there might be more 范s in Holland than 张s in China. I'd go with Eede instead. 何 or 贺 perhaps.

何也樂 (He Yale Yele) then, happy no matter what. Or 何雅樂, same pronunciation (He Yale), how elegant and happy. Both can be used on either sex. The first looks more like a guy's name, the latter more like a woman's.

Edit - mistakes above corrected.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies guys! 

Lu: I'm  currently in my 3rd year at university studying Intercultural relations management. Graduating this year in June but I'm planning on continuing some other stuff because I'm not the kinda person who wants to start working already. I'm only 21 and I just want to continue studying stuff that interests me, one of them being Chinese. 

Thanks for all the replies guys. However, if you type something in Chinese could you please also include the English translation as i can't read chinese characters (yet) 

My name is pronounced Yèlla fan ten idè  ( in English ) so maybe that might help :) . Ps I'm from Belgium not from Holland but I understand where the mistake might have come from :D

So the closest i've read up till now would be 何也樂 ?  According to google trans this means "he is also happy" - is there a more precise translation for a male person?

Thanks in advanceguys really appreciating this!

何也樂 (He Yele) would be a good choice. Google translate is in the right ballpark, but actually this name should be understood in classical Chinese, and the meaning is as Skylee said, 'happy no matter what'.

The jokey name Imron suggested was Fan Geili, in which fan = van and geili is an internet slang meaning something along the lines of 'go for it' or 'awesome'.

And yes you have a very Dutch-sounding name for a Belgian :-)

You can translate your name directly to “杰里,范登埃德”

If you want a Chinese style name, I suggest that "贺杰" can be more easily remembered by Chinese guys. :lol:

Also, "范也乐" is a good name. But it looks like a nick name. Chinese people prefer their names' words having some meanings of hope. "贺"means congratulate, "杰"means outstanding. So "贺杰" includes meaning of "hope everyone congratulates you are a outstanding person."

Like adbase said, 贺杰 (He Jie) means something like 'congratulations on being an outstanding person'. It's a fine Chinese name as well, but imo 何也乐 (He Yele) is more special and at least as meaningful. (Note that I'm not a native speaker and not good at picking Chinese names, but Skylee is both.)

• 2 weeks later...

Beside the geographical location how common is the name Yang Ju in China. I am looking for date of birth 1961 (I do know the exact date). I do realize I am looking for a male who is or was an controls engineer.