Chinese-Forums

Are there ways to improve Chinese font in Windows 8?

Tomas Tomas

I used to use a Mac, now I use a windows PC running Windows 8.1

The screen is 1366x768 on a 11.6" screen, so resolution is not a problem -- English text looks great.

But Chinese characters looks much worse than they did on my Mac.

Are there any good tweaks, settings, or alternative fonts that someone can recommend?

I used to use a Mac, now I use a windows PC running Windows 8.1

There's your problem. I've never seen a Windows computer, no matter how it's been configured, display Chinese text as nicely as a Mac does right out of the box. Maybe there's a way (it's been 11 years since I used Windows with any regularity), but I haven't seen it.

• Like 1

I am using Window 7, but have you already downloaded the Chinese language pack?  

See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.

3. Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.

4. Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.

Hi,

Yes, I have already installed the language pack.

I am looking for ways to make the Chinese characters looks better -- smoother, better font, etc.

Currently, it is pretty crappy, compared to the Mac and also to Android -- Hanzi look great on both of those.

This MacType thing seems to work.  

Do you have any tips on how to use it?  On the setup, there were all these different modes on how to run it (Registry, Tray, etc.) ...  was a bit confusing.

How do you run it?

OK, this seems to have improved the fonts a LOT -- looks like a Mac now, pretty much.

One question:  what do you find to be the best font choice for Anki, etc., typing.  I find that the display of certain strokes changed when I switched to PC .. like the top marks on 曾 go in a different direction, etc.

Do you have any tips on how to use it?  On the setup, there were all these different modes on how to run it (Registry, Tray, etc.) ...  was a bit confusing.

How do you run it?

Use registry mode when you are sure about settings, otherwise tweak under tray mode until you are sure.

One question:  what do you find to be the best font choice for Anki, etc., typing.  I find that the display of certain strokes changed when I switched to PC .. like the top marks on 曾 go in a different direction, etc.

Yes some fonts are for printing which you don't want to use for stroke learning. Use 楷书/kaishu/楷体/kaiti instead, Windows has it by default.

Could you post a before and after screen shot?  I'm curious what the difference is.   I'm using a stock Win 8.1, and it looks fine to me.  Maybe I just don't notice it as much.

There's your problem. I've never seen a Windows computer, no matter how it's been configured, display Chinese text as nicely as a Mac does right out of the box. Maybe there's a way (it's been 11 years since I used Windows with any regularity), but I haven't seen it.

Well, 11 years is a long time ago -- Win XP had just come out.  Maybe it's time to take another look?  Maybe Mac still is better, maybe not.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of Macs come with monitors, and they're pretty good ones. Most Windows users aren't using very good monitors, so everything looks worse.

Also, here's something I use on Chrome to force sans-serif typefaces; doesn't always work: Force Custom Fonts