Chinese-Forums

Are there ways to improve Chinese font in Windows 8?

Tomas Tomas

Well, 11 years is a long time ago -- Win XP had just come out.  Maybe it's time to take another look?

Why? I'm perfectly happy and comfortable on my Mac. Besides, I didn't say I hadn't used Windows at all over the past 11 years, just not regularly. I only use it when absolutely necessary (usually via Parallels), but I've used it enough to know I won't be going back any time soon. My wife had a Windows laptop until recently, and every time I used it I wanted to chuck it out the window.

That said, it's good to know there's a way to make Chinese fonts look better.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe the difference is also a conscious decision by the Windows team - there are some people who find the Mac Chinese fonts too fuzzy and prefer the crispness of the Windows ones.  I definitely find the windows ones easier to read at low point sizes.

I think I'm one of those - the Mac(-like) rendering is more beautiful and close to the true form of the font, but I'm not used to the fuzziness and prefer the "crisp" windows one.

I really hope the "retina" movement makes its way to desktop monitors... Fonts are much more beautiful on them.

• 3 months later...

I just tried MacType with a 13.3 inch 3200*1800 RGBW pentile display, with 276.05 PPI for grayscale content. It works much better with high density displays like this. With Windows hinting dialed back, everything looks better. Even Latin characters look better spaced.