Chinese-Forums

Vegetarian Restaurants in Beijing

Jim

There's a quite a few vegetarian restaurants in Beijing now if you can't be bothered to cook LiLiKe. My favourite is hidden away in Dafosi (due north of Wangfujing). Cheap and not too fancy like some of the others - I'm vegan and I can eat everything on the menu - even the kebabs. I don't think its listed in the ex-pat mags yet. It's called 静思 IIRC.

• 1 month later...

Hi – can we make a list of veggie places in Beijing? I will be visiting there next week, and would love to take in as much of the cuisine as I can.

Jim, could you tell me the address of the one you mentioned above? Also, I heard there is a new one on near Houhai on Gulou Xidajie that does fake meat dishes, but does anyone know the name and address?

And, what’s the best way to order?

wo shi chi su de (OR) wo zhuan men chi su

Thanks!

Split from here

The new one by Gulou is quite easy to find - simply get to Gulou and walk west on Gulou Xidajie - a few hundred meters and look for the big English 'vegetarian restaurant' sign.

I never liked the food that much myself, but I'm a confirmed meat eater. Both vegetarian friends I took loved it, though.

Roddy

I've not tried the Gulou place yet even though I only live down the road.

Curtains - I'm afraid I can't give an exact address for the 静思 (that is the right name) but here's my attempt at directions. it should be reasonably easy because the dogleg in the road is quite distinctive in Beijing:

Dafosi 大佛寺 is the area where 美术馆后街 Meishuguanhou Jie hits the north end of Wangfujing - the road does a short dog-leg. The restaurant is in a hutong which looking at a pinyin only map I have should be Yuqun Hutong which you get to by carrying on due north off Wangfujing into the backstreets rather than following the main bend of the road round to the left.

After about 30m the entrance to Yuqun Hutong is on your right and you should be able to see the restaurant.

I bet those are useless directions, sorry.

Edit:

searched and found this address and phone no:

静思素食坊

东城区大佛寺东街甲18号(育群胡同西口) 010-64008941

There's also a big old list of veggie restaurants here:

http://www.ivu.org/ivcb/gb/restaurants/beijing.html

which turns out to be the site of the International Vegetarian Club of Beijing which i'd never heard of. I'm off to explore that. Happy eating!

• 9 months later...

I found the following message from beijingcommunity.com, the message was written about 2 years ago. Does the place still exist? If does, what's the address??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone know one restaurant closed to Chang Hong Bridge, to the Northeast of it, in Wen Lian yard? I cannot remember the English name now, Jing Xin Lian in Chinese! it's delicious! Everytime I bring my friend there, they are never disappointed! Go there to try!

One more thing, the owner of it is a monk. and the food is really good!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone has discovered any new vegetarian restaurants in the city that aren't mentioned in the previous list. I'm not a vegatarian, but I have friends visiting during the 5/1 holiday who are (for religious reasons) and this is the part of their trip that I'm most worried about.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

• 2 months later...

I was invited here by an other thread. Let me qualify by saying that I'm not a totally strict vegetarian. I'm ok with the gravy based on, say, animal fat - as long as there are no chunks of meat in it.

In this case, my Chinese office friends took me to local restaurants, but each restaurant always had at least a few vegetarian dishes. I particularly enjoyed one made of shredded potatoes, tomatoes and pepper, which is supposed to be a Beijing favorite. The other one I tried was steam boiled tarrow cooked with hot pepper. All the others were some combination of green leafy vegetables, like a salad.

However, I was introduced to a vegetarian restaurant run by some buddhists a while back. I'm still getting to know the city, so i'll have to get the location name for you guys from my friend and post back.

Here is a solid listing of vegetarian restaurants.

Another place called Crystal Jade (in The Place) has some really nice, healthy and innovative vegetarian dishes as well.

Another nice place is across from the Film Academy, next to the Jimen Hotel. It's called Bai He something or other.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am a vegetarian new to this forum and want to know more about Vegetarian in China Beijing. Can anyone provide information on outlets and locations as well as the different types of dishes available.

Thanks

ahgow

Also, I heard there is a new one on near Houhai on Gulou Xidajie that does fake meat dishes

I heard quite often often about these fake meat dishes. I don't get it. Why would a vegan eat fake meat?

I mean, I don't eat internal organs or brain - if you present me with brain shaped tofu it still doesn't appeal to me.

I would:

• Cook more at home
  • Try lovely Indian food
  • Learn the vocab to get vegi dishes from Chinese places. They do have as great range of vegetables and some good ways preparing it. Tong Cai with FuRu is one of my absolute favorites.

• Like 1

The fake meat stuff can be pretty damned tasty in its own right, and you do get textures I don't reckon you get in other vegetarian food. Ok, it's not meat, but done well it's a tasty addition to a meal.

Dianping has a 素食 tag.

• 10 months later...

Just in case anyone is studying at BLCU and doesn't know where the vegetarian restaurants are, there are 2 in Wudaokou behind the Microsoft building, not far from the underground station. One is called 我行我素. I'm not sure what the other is called, but it's right next door. Both serve really good food, but 我行我素 also has a cheap lunch menu.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • New Members

Those are actually pretty good directions to the place in Dafosi. I used to live in the area about six years ago and stumbled upon it by accident. I was thrilled to find out last month that it was still there when I went looking for it. The restaurant is easy to spot because it has a lot of red lanterns and a green sign, plus it looks sort of like someone's living room inside (big wooden tables and bookshelves).

I'm not a vegetarian but I still love going to eat there. It's a great way to try some classic Chinese meat dishes (my sister is a vegetarian and I took her there when she came to visit) plus their actual vegetable dishes are fantastic. I would recommend the cold potato salad (it's made with fruit juice, which sounds odd but tastes delicious) and the sesame paste-filled pancake.

The best listing of all veg places in any city, including Beijing, is on www.happycow.net.

I'm not a fan on fake meat dishes and I've tried quite a few places in Beijing. Honestly though my favorite place to eat non-meat items is Bittepita.... love their hummus, baba ganouj (sp?), falafel sandwiches, fries, and numerous salad options... it's not as good as the falafel I can get back at home (Israeli style is a little bland I find), but it's delicious nonetheless!

My second favorite place to eat is Ganges. There are several locations and the menu, while a bit pricey, includes dozens of veg items that are very flavorful and don't have that fake meat. I love their chana masala.

• Like 1