Chinese-Forums

An Arranged Marriage

abcdefg

Excellent summary and overview, @Nathan Mao. I always learn something from your posts.

"Wait one year.  I've got one on the line...if I can't reel him in by next Spring Festival, then go ahead."

Several years ago I dated a 剩女, a 32-year old provincial schoolteacher who I met when she came to Kunming to do a graduate degree in her subject.

The whole time we were together, but especially early on, it was like being interviewed for a job or even "profiled." We would be out for an afternoon hike and she would be continually asking odd "screening" questions like whether I preferred lakes or seashore, mountains or fields, tall trees or decorative shrubs. Seemed like pop-psychology stuff.

Even went home with her to meet the parents over Spring Festival, and that went OK. But her fervent hope, frequently expressed in the strongest of terms, was that I would eventually return with her to the small town where she was from and settle down since she didn't much like city life. After I had seen the small town, I found that to be such an unattractive prospect that we soon broke up.

Life in China as a mature single male has been a wonderful adventure, and I've enjoyed most of it. Couldn't agree more with your statement below.

There are cultural assumptions bred into bones on both sides, and you can get hurt, or deal hurt, both unexpectedly and unintentionally.
  • Like 1

Well said Meng Lelan (smile.)

Your Chinese is way better than mine, so wanted to ask whether that can also be phrased as 婚礼是爱情的坟墓,which is how I've heard the same thought expressed. 

I didn't know whether 婚礼是爱情的丧礼 or 婚礼是爱情的坟墓 might be a famous quote from a book or poem or play that I didn't recognize because of still being only semi-literate and not well read.

婚姻(marriage) 是爱情的坟墓,not 婚礼 wedding。

That's the correct way of saying this saying. The way I twisted around this phrase in #24 was because I like how the two different 礼 get paired up in the same sentence the way two different persons get paired up in the same, uh, situation. 

相亲 is very common in China I think. One reason is that the parents want their child to marry someone quickly because they think their child are old enough to get married, another reason is that maybe parents want their child marry someone who meet the needs of them. 

What #20 said. Doesn't seem like 爱情 is essential for 婚礼 in this situation?

Thanks for the correction, Max. I wrote it the way I did because I didn't know any better. Not being a poet, now I can remember and use it the usual and customary way.

I haven't been through this because I'm a student now, but maybe when I'm at the age of 28 or 29 and don't have a boyfriend, my parents will arrange a 相亲 for me. :wall I hope that day will never come.

And if that would happen, would you feel obligated to do as they wish?

This topic just makes me sad.

If there is one thing to learn from it, then it is to try not to become like your parents, not to treat your own children like this when the time comes.

And if that would happen, would you feel obligated to do as they wish?

孝顺 isn't just a word.

Not everyone fulfills their 孝顺 duties, of course, but there is significant shame associated with disappointing your parents in Chinese society.

The US is an individual-based society.  China is a family-based society.

Judging one society by the standards of the other will result in cultural misunderstanding and miscalculation.

I'm not a US citizen. Though I'm not Chinese either, I think I have a right to talk about my opinion on China, about the good, the bad and the ugly things.

I have a number of Chinese friends who are suffering from the pressure that is put onto them by their families, and Sharon here, who seems to be from China, obviously isn't happy with arranged marriages either. A tradition that makes a lot of young people have a miserable life is not a good tradition.

Of course you have the right to discuss.

But it is only good/bad/ugly from your perspective.  To someone raised with that concept in their bones, it might be the opposite.

Eh.  I guess my bias is to judge less and try to understand more.  Then again, I don't really like the multiculturalist notion that "all cultures are equally good/fine", either, so maybe I'm full of crap.

I just think it more helpful to try to understand why Chinese people feel obligated to go so far to fulfill their parents' will, because language and culture are inextricably related.  Understanding this whole bundle of obligations helps to understand words/concepts like 孝顺 and 丢脸 on a much deeper level than if you just look at those concepts from a non-Chinese point of view.

Yes, the Chinese concept of filial piety brings some pain and pressure to the young.  But it also brings much more joy, caring, and closeness to the elderly.

Everything is a trade-off, and just because Chinese society makes some choices you wouldn't, doesn't make it bad or ugly.

• Like 3

I'm not saying Chinese society is shitty compared to western society or anything like that.

Otherwise I wouldn't be as interested in Chinese culture as I am.

There are good and bad things about every society. This just happens to be a forum about China.

Of course when I state my opinion, it's just from my perspective.

Maybe I do have a bias, as I'm not an elderly person. Then again, a lot of Chinese men might have a

different opinion about this if they were female.

Then again, a lot of Chinese men might have a different opinion about this if they were female.

On arranged marriages? Would they? I imagine it sucks for men as well as for women. Men also like to pick their own partners, no? Of course, in China, they still have the option of picking their own partner after being married, but that's not really a great outcome either, what with an unhappy wife on one end and a mistress who wants to be more than a mistress on the other.

Of course it sucks for both.

The pressure on women to marry before they are "too old" is just much higher than the pressure on men.

There is of course a biological reason for it, but that doesn't make it any better.

Anybody have experience with 红娘 (traditional matchmakers.) None of my married friends have ever mentioned using one. Wondering if they are as common as they once were.