Chinese-Forums

Help with identifying hanzis

Guest Buch

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

First of all thank you very much for the help I've already received! 

I need your help once again... I'm still working on my Blade Runner props, and this time some beautiful labels designed for the movie.

As before I need help identifying the sign, so I can recreate the design. And as before I don't know if these are Chinese or Japanese sign, nor what the meaning of the signs is. But in this case I suspect some of the signs are numbers??

I hope to hear from some of you  :D

post-56643-0-57050400-1417339787_thumb.jpg

Again: WOW! Thank you skylee :D That was fast and very kind of you!

The prop I'm currently working on is an (yikes!) eyeball container used by the character Hannibal Chew in the movie. See the picture below. The text you just helped me with was designed for one of these yellow eyeball containers...

I'm now puzzling with another piece of text/signs... As you - perhaps - can see on the picture, the yellow container is placed on a larger clear container with two vertically placed signs on it... I've tried the best I could drawing the signs, they're quite difficult to see... Does the second picture I've posted make any sense? Do you or anybody else recognize these two signs? 

post-56643-0-79705300-1417375130_thumb.png

post-56643-0-14235200-1417375140_thumb.jpg

Serial No 参八五九二奌壱 M (38592.1 M)

Diameter 零奌七五零零壱 cm (0.75001cm)

Circumference 弍奌参五五零 cm (2.3550 cm)

There are two problems with such a label:

- Chinese usually don't write out their numbers that way. It would be equivalent to writing 'Serial number: three eight five nine two point one' instead of simply 38592.1. Chinese people use Arabic numbers just like we do. This looks like someone who didn't know any Chinese painstakingly looked up all the characters and the word for 'dot'. I can't imagine a Chinese person would write a label this way.

- Chinese has two sets of characters to write numbers. One is the set for everyday use, going 一二三 etc. However, it's easy for someone to change a 一 into 二 or 三. So when you want to make sure your numbers can't be tampered with,for example when you're writing a check, you use the other set, which goes 壹贰叁 etc. On this label, the simple and the 'capital' numbers are used interchangebly, which is not really done.

The label does look cool this way, but perhaps consider changing it if you can.

• Like 1

Dear Lu,

Thank you for your comments on the labels  :) Most of the graphic design for the movie was done by people who don't speak Chinese or Japanese. So many of the signs were probably chosen for their aesthetic value rather than their meaning. So there's probably a lot of linguistic errors here and there! But that goes for the English text bits as well. On many of the props that very not designed to be directly on screen or were to small to see (the credit cards for instance), the text is total gibberish  :wink:

Do you by any chance know if there's any meaning to this?

post-56643-0-53384800-1417450644_thumb.jpg

Re the photo at #25, based on the terms 青 and 人間 and the character 壱, I would think that is Japanese, although the maker of that sign might not even know that Japanese and Chinese were different.

The characters in the photo at #27 look like "现出" to me.