Chinese-Forums

Underage marriage possible?

phallune

Don't try to bribe people unless you know what you're doing. Slipping someone 20,000 might just as well result in you getting deported and she getting blacklisted, because bribing people is illegal.

Don't bring her into the country illegally. She might get deported and blacklisted, and I imagine it will make it a lot harder to bring her into the US later on as well. Escaping the tour group is just a bad idea.

If you think you have a chance getting married in China, why not have her and her parents look into that? It will generally be easier for them to find out such things, since they know the country and the system and will probably have an idea who to ask.

What you're trying to do (bring a PRC woman to the ROC while yourself an American, and both of you very young and jobless) is extremely complicated at best. Any way you find of actually pulling this off will likely require lots of time, large amounts of paperwork and unforseen further complications somewhere down the line. You would make things a lot more managable if you adjust your expectations, for example, it's not hard for you to enroll in a university near her. Then you won't be together in your three-bedroom apartment, but you will be together, and you can still get married and/or live in Taiwan a few years later.

• Like 1

Many universities offer short courses, or short language courses that will accept anybody.  It doesn't have to be a degree.  Good luck, I hope she gets in.

I agree with Imron, you're better off trying to bribe the university with 'late application fee' than the marriage bureau. :lol:

That said, as money is not an issue to you, why don't you get one of your friends who own a business to employ her and you can bribe them into it, as well as cover her expat fees so the company doesn't lose anything? Isn't this a possibility?

Bribing is illegal and possibly unethical but let's face it...everyone's got a price. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Although it seems scary, long distance relationships are possible and when the distance is eventually conquered you both will have a feeling of accomplishment.

There's quite a few people out there who wouldn't be able to stay faithful even when living with their other half.

So it seems that she's and youse must be good 'uns.

I sometimes think that a bit of long distance should be mandatory for every relationship, hard, but if a couple can't get past that hurdle, they'll struggle later on one way or another.

Buy yourself a blow up doll, and her the shorter oxford english dictionary, tell her to demonstrate her love by memorising the contents.... the days months and years will just fly by.  :lol:

Ignoring all personal opinions and just answering your question:

I'd check for marriage laws in all nearby countries without long residency requirements.

Some countries may require you to have a certificate of marriageability or a singles certificate or what not.

Taiwan may or may not recognise such a marriage since she is Chinese and it's not considered a legal marriage by Chinese law. You should check all this with the Taiwanese government first.

That would be the fastest/easiest way I believe.

Get married, get whatever notorizations you need to make sure that the marriage will be recognised in Taiwan.

I can see a whole ton of things going wrong, so talk to the Taiwan government first.

---

If the Chinese government will accept an overseas under age marriage, then that would make things a lot easier I'd think. Try contacting the marriage departments and asking them.

Also try calling embassies/PSB's and ask them if "you can get a spouse visa for China since you married a Chinese girl overseas, although she is under-age by Chinese law". The answer could help in figuring out Chinas legal view on the matter.

Actually, Matty raises a good issue.

How would the Chinese government feel about one of their citizens going abroad to get married, despite not being legally able to in China? How would it feel about the person who married her? In some countries taking an underage person abroad for marriage is a criminal offense. I have no idea if this is the case in China, but it might be worth checking (or at least, if you do do it, being very quiet about it).

Edit: Looking around on the internet it seems that no one thinks its a criminal offence, so you're probably safe. One poster did make the useful comment though that for a Chinese person to get married overseas, he/she needs a certificate from the relevant Chinese embassy saying he/she is single. They might not be willing to give this to someone younger than required by Chinese law.

One poster did make the useful comment though that for a Chinese person to get married overseas, he/she needs a certificate from the relevant Chinese embassy saying he/she is single

A very Chinese solution here would be to refuse to issue such certificates for underage people, since they couldn't possibly need one.

Not saying that happens.  But when I write "China, The Adventure Game" I will include this scenario as a puzzle.

• Like 1

I believe (without evidence) that China would at worst most likely just not recognize the marriage as legal if she was under age. However these questions are worth asking.

A problem is that some countries don't recognize a marriage unless it's recognized by the country of citizenship of the person applying for the visa. So whether or not the Chinese government recognizes it may be an important factor, depending on Taiwanese law.

• Find out the Taiwanese visa laws specifics.

• Find out the consequences of marriage abroad for your girlfriend.

How about marrying her in HK? You can get married here if you are over 16. I know nothing about the other issues.

Brilliant Idea!

So the order of tries to get her to Taiwan. If the first on the list fails, then we try the next:

1. Try to get married in China despite our ages with parental approval, then get marriage certificate notarized by Taiwan embassy. Apply for dependents residence in Taiwan.

2. Get married in Hong Kong and get marriage certificate notarized by Taiwan embassy. Apply for dependents residence in Taiwan.

3. Enroll her in a nearby university in Taiwan.

4. Get a friend with a business to employ her in Taiwan.

Thank you everyone with the great ideas!

I will update everyone with my attempts and outcome later.

Before you try to do any of those things, first check:

- whether she can come to Taiwan at all (rules are still quite strict on PRC citizens to come to the ROC);

- whether you could bring her to Taiwan (since you don't have a job and probably are on a student visa);

- whether you can bring her to Taiwan on a spousal visa;

- whether she could do anything (work, study) in Taiwan.

At this point I think it would be useful to have your girlfriend and parents join the discussion. I also note how unenthusiastic you are about the idea of you going to China, which is probably by far and away the easiest way to reunite these star-crossed lovers.

Have you actually met this woman?

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is curious on what ended up happening. Nothing did.

She still wants to go to her crappy college somewhere in Sichuan.

So right now we have a long distance relationship and stay in contact through QQ.

She told me to wait for her and when she is older she will come to me and in the meantime do everything she can to make herself an even more desirable person.

She constantly asks me what I want her to look like.

We met at the hotel while I was staying in Chengdu for a few weeks.

She worked at the small cafe in the lobby. I was lounging around and ordering stuff from her so we chatted a bit, and found out that we had so much in common with each other. We were exactly what the other person was looking for. We spent the next few weeks travelling together and dating. We already discussed her coming back with me, but she thinks we need to make sure this is true love before we commit ourselves to each other.

Phallune, too bad that you can't be together yet, but if you're right for each other, you'll still be in a few years. Meanwhile it's still the summer holiday, so perhaps you can go visit her? You can both spend your time apart improving your odds of living together. If I were her I'd spend time on learning English rather than changing my appearance, and if I were you I'd try and get a master's degree. Good luck to both of you, you both have your heart in the right place!

I realize that everyone wants you to be happy but there is a bit of naivety coming across in the replies. Sorry to other posters!

OP, I realize that you never actually asked for 'opinions' on your relationship so I do apologize for giving unwarranted comments but I would like you to be happy so here are my thoughts,(being twice your age and having been through similar relationships (different culture, distance)

She saying "true love before we commit ourselves to each other" is very sensible, She sounds quite grown up and sensible! That is great

I understand that the 2 or 3 years being apart is not ideal at all, but if you are in truly in love and intend on getting married, this should not 'break' the relationship in the slightest. If it does, you are not in love, its an infatuation. Sorry for being overly blunt, but remember if you wish to get married together, you are intending on being together for ever, that could be another 60 years. Hence investing 2 or 3 years into making a final decision that could last 60 years is not a long time. That means taking good with the bad. the physical attraction & looks will fade, the differences and wants in life will become more apparent and may drive you apart or bring you closer. But ultimately she needs to be come your sole mate. That takes time and a lot of it. 

Whatever you do, good luck mate!