Chinese-Forums

I NEED advices, travelling for firstime in my life out of my country to the RED CHINA? Please Help!

sujeto

When I make the long flight to China, I always arrive tired and jet lagged. Even though I love China, I go through a couple of grouchy days every time.

So maybe you should give yourself some rest and then reassess the situation after that.

sujeto, you need to take a chill pill and grow up a bit The Japanese comment? Seriously? What age are you? 14? that's the way a teenage acts who has been watching too many Rambo movies and starts posing topless in the mirror)  Whats next the Israelis & Arabs? 

You will have this experience in many parts of poorer countries like Indian / Egypt etc and scamming / hassling is ripe even in developed places like Rome.  Its part of life. If you don't like what you see in the world or China, get on a plane and go home. Its that simple

• Like 2

I hated my first couple of months in China and was sure I'd made the worst decision of my life, but I'm still here 18 years later.

I had this epiphany one morning walking along a dry, dusty road  in the baking of heat of a Hunan summer, on the way to the market. Suddenly for no reason I thought 

"Hey! I like this place!"

• Like 3

Well, imho putting a high value on an international package is asking for trouble. First of all it attracts all kinds of taxes and custom duties and if send outside the developed world there's a good chance it attracts corruption too. Also high valued packages are preferred by thieves however usually that's less of an issue then corruption.

I had a similar Fedex experience to the one described in @Tysond's link, (even though my package was much less expensive.)

Can't help wondering if somehow Fedex has managed to get on China's official sh*t list, sort of like Google did.

The culture shock can be pretty intense on first arrival. 

It really gets better if you have an open mind and willing to accept that some things are just different.

Do not be upset by scammers, in the early period they will provide you with lots of free Chinese language practice...

There are a lot of Venezuelans where I live--probably more than anyplace outside Venezuela--and many have complained to me about the crime rate there. Now where I live isn't exactly a safe place either, but according to UN statistics (I'm going to be brutally honest now, since you certainly don't keep your opinions to yourself) your nation's murder rate is an appalling 53.7 per 100,000 inhabitants, while China's is a tiny fraction of that, at just 1 in 100,000. Sure a cabbie took you for a ride, but that's happened to me here in my own country (the US), you should be happy that now you can go out any time of the day or night with virtually no fear for your personal safety.

I had no intention of denigrating Venezuela (the city I live in is pretty darned "third world" itself--it's Gini coefficient is the same as Mexico City's & worse than that of either Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro), I think it's wonderful that they've managed to break free of the US's grip--I just think Sujeto ought to put things in perspective.

Sure I completely agree with you, he seems to be in extreme culture shock mode.

My post was actually a continuation of a completely unrelated thought I had yesterday when I passed a number of heavily armed police.

Giving a state an almost absolute monopoly on violence seems to have created a society that is on the whole much safer most of the time for the vast majority of its citizens. 

On the whole, many people are too quick to dismiss how much we benefit from that. Venezualuan levels of violence among citizens were once the norm in the west and China, not the exception; and still are the norm throughout central and south america.

On the whole urban China feels like an extremely safe place to be. Difficulties between foreigners and residents are usually relatively benign and avoidable with practice.

He'll get over it soon enough, it's either that or go home.