Chinese-Forums

Chinese Phrase/Idiom about the taste of food

SkyFitsHeaven

SOMEONE told me that Mandarin has a phrase/idiom about the taste of food being more important than anything else. I was complaining to a friend about the lousy service in Chinese restaurants the person told me that there is a belief that the taste of food in a restaurant is the most important thing and is more valuable than the service or atmosphere of the establishment. As long as you serve delicious food, you'll do OK. 

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? 

aone, if I understood correctly, the OP is saying they've heard of an idiom or expression that basically says that the taste of the food is more important than anything else. So, if I understand the idiom, it doesn't matter about any of the following...if the food tastes great, then that's all that matters.

- the restaurant has a bad odor - it smells inside!

- the service is very poor - it takes them forever to wait on you, and then it takes them a long time to bring you your food too!

- the atmosphere in the restaurant sucks - no ambiance

- people are too noisy in the restaurant, I couldn't enjoy my discussion with my friends because none of us could hear the other one talk

- the prices are way too high in this restaurant!

All the above don't matter, according to this idiom; if the food tastes great, then everything else can simply be overlooked or ignored.

I have spent a few hours today looking through my ABC Dictionary of Chinese Proverbs and couldn't find anything with this concept.

i wonder if this is because there is no food so delicious that all of the terrible things listed here:

"- the restaurant has a bad odor - it smells inside!

- the service is very poor - it takes them forever to wait on you, and then it takes them a long time to bring you your food too!

- the atmosphere in the restaurant sucks - no ambiance

- people are too noisy in the restaurant, I couldn't enjoy my discussion with my friends because none of us could hear the other one talk

- the prices are way too high in this restaurant!"

can be overlooked.

I am sure I would not put up with any of these things or other similarly bad things just because the food was good or even excellent, it would have to be absolutely exceptional and even then I would not recommend it or go back or even stay to finish it.

Sounds good michaels, and aone that fits the idea of the food and drink being worth the traveling time.

Both of these have to do with time, waiting time or traveling time, which  on reflection, are two things i would overlook when choosing a restaurant.