Chinese-Forums

Forums View vs Portal View

roddy

Which do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Portal View
    • Forums View
    • No Preference

I use the forums view only when I want to start a new thread and have to find the appropriate forum (I think I can't do this at the portal view, right?), and when I want to search for something and have a vague idea of where that something is.

Forums view is good if you want to find something. Portal is nice because it gives you an overview of recent posts without having to go into the forums themselves. However, the new posts function is also useful for this.

IN summary: portal and new posts are the main pages I use to navigate the site.

Although, I cannot vote...

I have no idea why Can you vote in other polls? If there's an issue pm me, or make a bug report, but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Yeah, I think most people either go forums.php > New posts, or index.php (portal) > new posts. The forumdisplay.php pages (eg) don't seem to get much use, as people go directly to topics from new posts.

I'm just asking out of curiousity really, but it's also useful for me to know, for example, where I should put an announcement to make sure that most people see it. I want to keep the portal view as index.php, as I think it's a more interesting 'snapshot' of the site for people visiting us via links.

I'm a portal person. I like to see the latest Signese.com sign and read a few post intros before I hit that "new posts" button.

An announcement would also appear as one of the "new posts", so I don't see how I could possibly miss it.

I prefer the portal view, as it allows me to have a quick glance at the new posts. However, I think the forums view is better as a home page. It is probably more useful for people who access chineseforums.com for the first time, so they can see what sort of topics are discussed in the forums.

By the way, welcome back, Shibo! It's nice to see you posting around here again.

My offer of a bet's looking a bit foolish now, or have you been gaming the poll after all Roddy? :wink: Collect your CNY 10 at your leisure!

I agree that the new posts feature is very nice too. Best of all I guess is that the board is flexible enough to let you choose your favourite view yourself - now that's real democracy!