Chinese-Forums

Yogurt - Live and Active Cultures?

金妙漪

Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has already been asked. My internet is being strange and not loading any searches I make.

Does anyone know which yogurt brands usually found in China (Shanghai) have live and active cultures? Or how/if that would be expressed on the packaging? Looking to get in on some good bacteria.

Cheers!

A hint on searching - the default forums search uses Google, and so might not always be available from China. Either try with a VPN on or click the 'google' button to bring down the drop down menu and select 'forums' to use the site's own, inferior, search engine. There's a recent discussion on yogurt here, not sure if there's anything useful. 

• Like 1

I looked into this a month or so ago. Here's the thread: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/46462-finding-non-sweet-yogurt/

I eventually found a couple brands that were labeled as containing 活性乳酸菌, although none were unsweetened. I never located starter granules locally (Kunming.) You should have it easier in Shanghai.

Deferred pursuing the project further until I return from my annual trip back to Texas next month.

• Like 1

After suffering from China's sweet, watery excuse for yoghurt, I gave up until I found a cheap yoghurt maker in a local department store. So, now I make my own. This yoghurt starter is available in a couple of places in my city. (It's also on Taobao).

DIY%20Yoghurt%20IMG_1846.jpg

The whole process is described here.

Once you have made your first batch, you can use some of that to start the second batch.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...