Chinese-Forums

Fruit/Flower/Vegetable from Taiwan

Ian_Lee

Recently Beijing announced that it will grant zero tariff on the fruit imports from southern Taiwan. And in some exhibitions held in Mainland cities, many people are amazed by the taste and variety of fruits grown in Taiwan that they have never heard of.

In Chinese, Taiwan has a nickname of "An Island of Treasure". The description is quite appropriate since hardly any regions in China with similar latitude and climate, i.e. Hainan, yield as much quality agricultural produces as Taiwan does.

Here in Hawaii, the plantation industry was crowded out by Taiwan as far back as the '70s. And recently when the import ban of Taiwan's orchids is lifted, the local industry anticipates doomsday ahead.

Actually I love many exotic fruits and vegetables grown almost exclusively in Taiwan. I recall the 山竺 that my friend brought me from Taiwan is really mouthwatering. And the young bamboo shoots from Taiwan which they like to mix with mayonnaise is also very delicious.

During the '60s and ''70s when Mainland and Taiwan were trying to outdo each other diplomatically in Africa and Latin America, ROC agriculture assistance teams were very welcomed by the local governments.

A couple of months ago a fruit stall owner persuaded us to buy some 鸡蛋果。Sure enough, just like egg yolk in taste and texture. Weird, and very filling... Does anyone know what they are called in English?

The 18 varieties of fruit that are going to be imported to Mainland are (increased from 12 to 18 ):

菠蘿、香蕉、番荔枝、木瓜、楊桃、芒果、番石榴、蓮霧、檳榔、橘、柚、棗 and 椰子、枇杷、梅、李、柿子和桃

Hmmm......will people in Mainland get addicted to 檳榔 (Betel Nut) as people in Taiwan are? :roll:

蓮霧 is definitely the kind of fruit that you will never find grown in Mainland (so far I haven't found in US).

Bhchao:

I never try Taiwan-grown lychee. And I wonder how come it is not on the list.