Chinese-Forums

Cheese

tysond

Cheese. A lot of my students don't like it unless it's on something in a small-ish amount like when it's on a hamburger or pizza. Equally, there idea of 'cheese' is usually plasticy burger cheese with little flavor.

So basically exactly the same as the USA then?

[ I'm kidding!  I'm kidding!  Unless you are European in which case you know exactly what I'm talking about ]

• Like 4

Tysond, exactly. In fact, the product that goes into burgers are not allowed to be called cheese (I think they actually have a percentage of cheese in single percentage figures) by the Trading Standards people in the UK. The manufacturers get over this by calling them "Cheese Slices".

[ I'm kidding! I'm kidding! Unless you are European in which case you know exactly what I'm talking about ]

I do. When I was in Canada, people got the impression that I was really into cheese and I never understood why, since I would rarely eat it. It seems like cheese is eaten much more in Europe than in North America. Australia, though, they had some awesome cheese...

I know very few Chinese people who would touch French or Swiss cheese. Many Chinese are lactose intolerant, and complain that cheese makes them puke.

Gahanna, I'm pretty sure if the cheese content is THAT low they have to be 'cheese flavoured' - some are labeled like that, and they wouldn't do it unless they had to. However cheese slices are definitely plasticky processed cheese. 

PS 'Cheese' - 'other cultures' - geddit?

Okay, in my culture I would eat cheese for breakfast, cheese for lunch, cheese for dinner. Other cultures more welcoming to my dietary habits? 

How did my quote start a whole new thread?

A teacher where I work brought in some blue cheese for students, thinking 'well, they said they like cheese' ... as soon as it touched the first students tongue, coughing fit for 5 minutes, that piece straight in the bin.

I also see these weird "flavoured cheese" things in supermarkets too. I've never bought any but it looks like spreadable cheese but with strawberry flavor etc They target children and I recall seeing spongebob on the front at one point!?!

The Americans I've met call processed cheese “American cheese”, which is weird to me because countries normally disown their worst exports.

Anyway, one other cheese-related disappointment for me in China is that whenever I hear someone saying they bought cheesecake I'm always momentarily excited, until I remember that Chinese “cheesecake” is actually a highly mediocre style of sponge cake which tastes vaguely of cheese, rather than the gooey-biscuitey-cheesey goodness that is true cheesecake.

• Like 1

Oh God, the chocolate cheese is just too much! Absolutely vile. Surely that's worse than anything the US has ever done to cheese? Though we're probably the ones who made it possible.

I have to admit, that's one thing I don't miss about Taiwan. My local grocery store here in Tokyo has a really great selection of cheese. You can even find good yoghurt here fairly easily. When I was looking for Greek yoghurt in Taipei, I ended up buying from a Greek-Canadian guy who was making his mom's recipe in his apartment and would meet you outside an MRT station to sell it to you drug-deal-style. It was really good, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Come to Holland. I didn't do anything special for breakfast or lunch but I've already seen six types of cheese today (and eaten three of them).

Not a bad idea. Holland: good education, generous fellowships, good cheese, access to Chinese culture.  :P

Greek-Canadian guy who was making his mom's recipe in his apartment and would meet you outside an MRT station to sell it to you drug-deal-style

Or if you live in Greece or the neighbourhood, you wake up, your mom makes you Greek yoghurt, end of story. 

The worst I have come across was when I was talking with a Chinese friend and she insisted I could buy real blue cheese in town. Off she ran and returned minutes later with this:

bbcheese.jpg

Yes. Spreadable plastic flavoured with blueberries. Truly disgusting.

• Like 3