Chinese-Forums

Translating a poem ..

chinesekitten

I agree, not to mention this is not modern Mandarin. It's basically a language the students have never studied before. Except for the characters, it is not that easy for a person who speaks fluent Mandarin to understand an old poem, 系统不同. 

Hey Angie (I know not everyone like this nickname, pls ignore if dislike it either).

Wow! You could even recognize the avatar of 老崔!Rove ya! Lao Cui is a Poet, an educator, a thinker, a fighter...and he just happens to be a singer, a rock star. And he is a hero!

I'd say you are amazingly strong in Chinese studying (not learning) by pointing out above facts! Forget about the link of the translation, it's just our supporting forum. I believe our main site can help you a bit since your Chinese study has reached an advanced level. Our site is useful if you are interested in Chinese Etymology study, you will find the definition of more 75,000 characters. I'm confident that our Fuzzy Search and Refine Search will definitely put some smiles on your face. For example, try this: click on 成语 above the Search Box, check 精确搜索, then input ??安? , search and check the results. Same way, click on 词典, input ?安 or 安? see the results. :)

Our site is called 汉典。search it. Good luck and have fun!

101219g7b9btentee9gbw8.png

• Like 1

Deleted a bunch of posts that were off-topic.

Everyone, if a new member comes along and asks for help, please try to be a little less condescending in your replies.

It's not like the OP didn't make any effort - the first post wasn't asking for a direct translation and for you to do all their homework for them, it was asking for specific help with parts the OP didn't understand.

Telling the OP to "check a dictionary" isn't exactly helpful, neither is going into multi-paragraph posts about the "correct" way to thank someone, or lambasting the teaching methods of the OPs teacher.

Remember also, that we aim to be a *friendly* place for people to discuss Chinese language and culture.  If you jump down new users throats for small or minor things, they're unlikely to form a positive view of the forums and will probably just leave.  Don't be that person.

• Like 3

Can we, in a friendly, non-condescending manner, express our views that someone's teaching methods are questionable? 

Obviously this is a nice place and should stay that way. 

Can we, in a friendly, non-condescending manner, express our views that someone's teaching methods are questionable?

You can if it's on-topic and doesn't start to derail the thread.  Alternatively, if you feel strongly enough about it, you can start a new thread.