Chinese-Forums

Two-child policy

realmayo

The one child policy has been a two child policy in urban areas for quite a while, as when both parents were single children (which most are) they could have two children. When that was implemented that did not lead to a massive baby boom, nor will this one, as most people simply cannot afford larger families.

However, still the right move, as it gives people the freedom to decide themselves. The One (now two) Child Policy did it's job and as such should (and will) be over time completely abolished.

The main problem now is for local government and officials who lived of the fines and bribes people paid for their second child in the past to find new sources of income. Maybe a one pet policy?

Just wondering out loud if he ever imagined the China of 2015 back in 1980...

Quite probably.  He knew China needed to change and that's why you had the opening up and reforms.  I certainly don't think he expected the one-child policy to be something to continue on forever - otherwise there would be an underpopulation problem that would also cause social havoc.

I was yesterday in a 烧烤 place I often go to eat alone and chit chat with the owners. Saw the news about two-child policy on my phone and immediately told one of the owners that "Hey, have you heard! They ended one-child policy!". Her reply was just "Huh, really? Who wants to have more than one anyway, 太麻烦". Then it was back to watching some comedy series on tv.

Haha! I love this.  :D

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Quite probably.  He knew China needed to change and that's why you had the opening up and reforms.  I certainly don't think he expected the one-child policy to be something to continue on forever - otherwise there would be an underpopulation problem that would also cause social havoc.

Great! Thanks!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

They've been loosening the policy gradually for a long time, and there isn't exactly a lot of pent-up demand anyway. So they could have announced this decision at any time. And, it's getting a lot more play overseas than domestically. So I wonder, was it a sop to the UK government, so they could say "see, we did bring up the issue of human rights, and they made a major change". Or does it have more to do with the warships in the Spratlys?

And over here many of us choose no child at all. It is just too expensive here. And many people don't want their children grow up with Communist(-tainted) education but don't have the means to go elsewhere. So the easy way out is not to have any. With 150 migrants from Mainland China daily (many of low income group who are eligible for welfare money), we will soon be completely colonised again. Haha.
Mexicans entering the USA, Middle Eastern and African refugees entering Europe, Mainland Chinese going to Hong Kong... we live in the age of mass migrations, for better or worse :)

And many people don't want their children grow up with Communist(-tainted) education but don't have the means to go elsewhere.
Is that really a consideration? Many people around me are having children, and I don't have the impression that any of them considered larger factors (the State of the World, climate change, personal financial situation etc). It was always a decision of 'we/I really want to have a child/children', a primeval thing. (Which makes perfect sense, we all are descended from a long line of people who had kids after all so it's probably hard-wired into us.)

This will turn out to be a nightmare for Europe someday.

Immigration is what has always defined Europe, so this is nothing new.

To bring it back on-topic, many European countries need people, especially young people. What is worrying (and this applies to the entire continent) is our utter failure at integrating newcomers.

Canada, USA and some other countries are historically much better at this.

Okay, having kept my opinions to myself til now, I feel its time to have a say, probably will get some downvotes but it is my opinion only.

I believe that the whole world needs a 2 child policy. We are at 7 billion and counting, when will it stop? The arrival of the refugees to Europe is the start of the chaos that is going to happen if nothing changes.

I am so glad that I am of an age that means that I will not be alive when the population reaches 10 billion. I fear the worst for the planet and the people.

As the great David Attenbourgh says

We should stop controlling the environment for the good of the population and start controlling the population for the good of the environment.

I have no children, I consider this my small contribution to helping the planet, because not having any children means that consuming and generating waste stops with me. I will not be contributing in any way once I die.

We obviously need to keep the population from decreasing too much and unevenly (not too many old, or male, etc) but we could afford to reduce the population by a few billion and suffer no problems. The few billions that would remain would have all they need and want without it being a drain on the planets resources or polluting the beautiful and needed fauna and flora.

Think about it, don't have a child just cos you want one, you may think its your right to have child, but you don't have the right to subject that child and others to a life of misery.

Ok my two cents over with.

Back to learning chinese.

• Like 3

It was always a decision of 'we/I really want to have a child/children', a primeval thing. (Which makes perfect sense, we all are descended from a long line of people who had kids after all so it's probably hard-wired into us.)

I don't think that historically it was about having children, it was about having sex. With education and becoming wealthier (able to buy anti conception) people figure out they can have sex without the burden of children. One of the examples of behavior taking over from genes. This is a global trend. The main reason that the world population is still growing is due to increased life expectancy. The number of babies born is barely growing, if at all. There is a good chance that within a few decades over population debates are replaced by debates about under population and breeding programs.

I want to have lots of tatric sex and have many children. Anyone has a scarlet letter? Bring it on!

BTW Malthusian control is not the only kind of control people can exercise over population growth.

• Like 1

Kenny, what you may or not realise is that many people in western countries say the same thing about Chinese, often with hostility and anger and plenty of nasty words.

What you are also saying (though you may not realise it) is that you think that people from these places are unable to make a productive contribution to society, which is a pretty blanket (and offensive) thing to say.

• Like 3