Chinese-Forums

The Duality Code

WKC

Thanks guys for the link to Perry Link and John McWhorter, I surely will read more of them.

I'm not into the Sapir-Whorf hard hypothesis, but I believe our language colors our world differently, I'm still not sure how and how deep.

Hello WKC, this thread got me thinking. But I don't understand some points :

* How are you sure the interpretative links you make are the correct ones (and not just new Heisig kind of stories, interpretations that just "could be", just made to illustrate a point).

* In your hypothesis, how do you see the historical process and method used by the Confucianist to encode the Hanzis ? (In the novel 1984 by G.Orwell, even the "newspeak" can't start from zero). How could they create the Confucianism and the cultural background before the hanzis, so only with oral language ? And after how could they (still working without any primitive writing system) create a conscious and systematic double-meaning language ? (A task that Leibniz failed to do, when he tried to create a "Characteristica universalis"). Which level of language is encoded and which is not ? (I guess 一 and 人 are not encoded, since they are used to code 大). In the end, do the code refers to confucianist stories, or just to the pure radicals themselves ?

* Isn't the "Duality code" expression a pleonasm (a code is already a duality beetwen obvious meaning/coded meaning). Or are there multilayered codes ? It would be quite obsessive.

* And the point I'm most interested with : How could the encoding have a effective influence on the reader ? If I read 大 and if the code is "一人大", how does it make me believe more in oligarchy ? (First : I don't know there is a code, Secondly I could interpret "one big man" as my own big omnipotent mind... if i'm not Confucianist and have a Daoist or Buddhist way of thinking).

Roddy,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to reply to 耳耳语语 before locking the tread.

耳耳语语

I will try to answer you as fully as possible.  I may not have much time before this thread is locked so my answers may not be as comprehensive as I would like.

·      From my recollection of Hesig, I believe that he did a story creation type of approach to assist memorisation of the most commonly used characters.  My approach is to look at the most basic symbol used in 漢字 – the single stroke characters identified in the Eight Principles of Yong.  Once the meanings were decrypted, they were applied to more complex characters.  I am quite confident that I am on the right track.  Those of you who purchase my book will understand, especially when the book goes into solving the conundrum.  The conundrum is an absolutely amazing puzzle, and anybody who doubts should be convinced by the time the conundrum is solved.

·      I believe that every 漢字 character in Kai Script is part of the code.  The code was encrypted before Confucius as it is evident in Oracle Bone Script from the last 250 years of the Shang dynasty.  The code has been re-encrypted a number of times.  Each new script after Oracle Bone Script re-encoded some of the characters.  I believe that Confucius may have been responsible for a major re-encryption of the code in order to create the conundrum.  This is pure conjecture at this point.  Scholars will undoubtedly have more to say when they have had an opportunity to study it.  I have primarily focused on decrypting the code that exists in 漢字 itself.  It is impossible for one person to decrypt every known character so decryption of the entire 漢字 vocabulary will take some time.  The next step is then to decrypt Chinese texts.  This may be from Lu Xun back to the Book of Rites, Book of Odes, Book of Changes, etc.

·      I understand that a code has ciphertext and plaintext, which may be considered a duality.  I do not believe that the Duality Code is a pleonasm because ‘code’ just refers to the encryption, and ‘duality’ refers to a concept that has to be understood in order to generate the plaintext.

·      There is a philosophy that is encrypted in the code.  Being able to read classical Chinese in certain characters such as 西(west) leads to uncovering of the conundrum.  The conundrum is mind blowing.  It contains a philosophy, which is revealed when the conundrum is solved; solving the conundrum teaches you tools required to access classical Chinese texts.  I will honestly say that I have not decrypted classical Chinese texts, so I cannot comment on any philosophy encrypted into these texts.  I will say that what I have revealed on this board so far is just a faction of what is in my book. 

To everyone else,

In 門外文談, Lu Xun said,

“The ancients handed down writing to us. Admittedly, this is a tremendous heritage for which we should be thankful. However, at the present time, when pictographs no longer resemble the objects they are supposed to represent, and when symphonetic graphs have gotten out of tune, our thanks cannot but be a bit hesitant.” [Victor H. Mair (tr.), ‘Lu Xun, An Outsider's Chats about Written Language’, pinyin.info]

Look out for pictographs that do no represent the meaning of the character, such as (wood) instead of ‘tree’, and semantic-phonetic compounds where the phonetic element is out of tune with the pronunciation of the character.  These are hints that you have to investigate further.

The Duality Code may be viewed as a classical cipher.  Classical ciphers employ transpositions and substitutions.  The Shuowen Dictionary was compiled c. 100 AD by the scholar Xu Shen.  Xu Shen has hidden a coded message in the Shuowen.  That coded message is in the example characters for the 六書(Six Writings, Six Principles of Character Composition).  Xu Shen has used two encryption methods to conceal his message.  The first encryption method is transposition.  The characters need to be read back to font.  I have made the adjustment for the transposition, the coded message says:

(leader) (command) (old) (test)

(believe; letter) (military) (river) (large river)

(moon) (day) (inferior; bring down; below) (superior; go up; top)

I have not made adjustments for the second encryption method employed by Xu Shen.  This second method is called 假借(false borrowing).  Think about what Lu Xun said in the passage quoted above.  Work out what 假借 really means.  It should not be too difficult now that it has been pointed out to you.  After you have adjusted for 假借, Xu Shen's message will be clearer.  [Edit:  I think you can view 假借 as a substitution cipher.  I am not a cryptographer, so I guess it will be up to them as to how it should be classified.]

Have fun working out the Duality Code.  The conundrum is more difficult than you think.  You will need to have access to the Shuowen dictionary, and knowledge of Seal Script.  For anyone trying to locate the (master’s forearm secret), you will have to look at Oracle Bone Script.

I would like to extend my thanks to the forum for hosting this discussion.  As the administrators have indicated their wish to lock the thread, I will not be posting any further before the thread is locked.

I would also like to thank everyone for reading my pitch for The Duality Code.  I hope it has been an interesting and enlightening read.  If anyone wants to contact me, I can be contacted at TheDualityCode@gmail.com

Edit:

Those wishing to discuss the subject in a forum may try to activate the subject at: http://ctext.org/discuss.pl?if=en&thread=2038265

Let me also add that for those who are able to figure out 假借, look at the definition of the decrypted characters in the Shouwen Dictionary.

For those trying to solve the conundrum, the article on 五行(Wu Xing) that appears on Wikipedia currently lists only 3 of the five movements required.  Note that the conventional explanation of Wu Xing should not be used.  It may just hinder you.  Think of Five Movements (directions) – try to generate a Five Movements diagram from it.

I hope everyone has fun solving the greatest logical puzzle on earth.