Chinese-Forums

The Duality Code

WKC

roddy,

"I think there will be one or two who will wonder why Qian Xuntong, Lu Xun and Mao all wanted to get away from Chinese characters"

Because, as writing systems go, they're really kind of daft. Never seen anyone claim to find hidden meaning in the letter f. Although that would make a fine episode of Sesame Street. "Today we're going to learn about the letter f, the number 9, and a global conspiracy."

There is a difference between a logographic and a phonetic script.  In a phonetic script, every letter has a sound attached to it.  In a logograph script, every logograph has a meaning attached to it.  There are logographs with meanings that most people are not aware of.  For example, the Kangxi Dictionary says that 肱 has a 

Most Chinese characters are phonetic-semantic compounds. A logographic script?? Where? The people you are talking about wanted to make learning Chinese more accessible, to make knowledge open. Are you sure you are helping that? Have you tried learning Chinese? 

Angelina,

Very true. The people that I am talking about wanted to overcome the oppression of imperial China.  The dedication in my book says:

Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains.  J. J. Rousseau

This book is dedicated to everyone who faces oppression.

The people who wanted to overcome oppression fought against the Confucian ideology that was oppressing the common man.  I am publishing my book because China is returning to Confucianism.

Angelina,

You say they wanted to make learning more open.  True.  They wanted to get rid of 漢字 to do that.  The Confucian scholars prevented that.  There are still Confucian scholars who know the code.  The return to Confucianism will allow them to oppress the common man again.  To make knowledge open, everyone must have access to classical Chinese.

The more you think about secret powers oppressing people, the further you move away from challenging that power. 

Why don't you start learning Chinese instead of looking for a secret code that keeps people ignorant? 

For some strange reason, my previous post was truncated.

At a guess, probably because you posted a character outside the Unicode basic multilingual plane and the database used by the forums doesn't support that and truncates posts when that happens.

@WKC

Please stop. Go post this rubbish elsewhere. For someone who professes to have a strong grasp of logic, it's ironic that your arguments are just a mixture of nonsequiturs and ad hominems.

@imron: Recommend locking this thread. Despite the best efforts of its author, it has seen some genuinely interesting discussion, but it seems to have run its course now.

• Like 1

#142 --

For some strange reason, my previous post was truncated.

You can append the missing material as a jpg (as a photo.) Hit "More Reply Options" at the lower right of this box.