Chinese-Forums

any good TV series recently?

realmayo

I started watching Guardian (镇魂) and quite enjoy it. It is fantasy detective story set in a parallel universe´s Earth about a team solving crimes committed by mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRj_d7_skE&list=PLnN2l1vHg1Mtny-BAdQNqVt4ErT3YiRVL

I wonder if anyone has a good source of Chinese soft subs for downloading and studying

I wonder if anyone has a good source of Chinese soft subs for downloading and studying

Have you seen my post about... ah, I'll find you a link... here. Last time I used that plug-in, it was possible to copy and paste out Netflix subtitles.

'Course, if you don't have Netflix... Shooter.cn used to be the place to look, but now seems to be a... AI-powered video translation service? To be honest, it might be best just to search the title of the show with keywords like srt and 字幕. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roddy said:

Have you seen my post about... ah, I'll find you a link... here. Last time I used that plug-in, it was possible to copy and paste out Netflix subtitles.

'Course, if you don't have Netflix... Shooter.cn used to be the place to look, but now seems to be a... AI-powered video translation service? To be honest, it might be best just to search the title of the show with keywords like srt and 字幕. 

I have Netflix, but have not seen it on Netflix here in Germany.

Shooter has been down for a while now. I tried www.zimuku.la/ and https://subhd.com/ without success

1 hour ago, imron said:

Rather than 字幕 I'd search for srt and then either chs (for simplified) or cht (for traditional).

Thanks. I tried. No success.

Ah, apologies, I read it as you looking for sources of subs in general, not that show specifically. Anyway, just remembered my best trick - search for a unique phrase from the dialogue, then if there are subs or a transcript indexed anywhere, it shows up. Unfortunately I tried it with your show and no luck. 

• Like 1

I finished watching 《想见你》, and I think it deserves all the accolades it has received. Although the first few episodes are a little slow going, they set up the rest of the story nicely, which consists of a mixture of a modern story dealing with loss, a coming of age drama, a mystery, and a suspenseful thriller. It contains some time-travel-ish elements, but all in a non sci-fi way. With so many interconnecting plot-threads, I was worried about them messing up the ending, but they handled it really well. One of my favourite ever Chinese language shows for sure.

I also just finished off another highly-rated Taiwanese drama, 《我们与恶的距离》. This joint HBO production tackles the topic of child killings, looking at the effects on the family of the victims, the families of the perpetrators, the lawyers who represent them, the media and society as a whole. If you're looking for a feelgood show to pass the time during lockdown, then this obviously isn't it. However, it's a great show, even if it is at times uncomfortable viewing. Very well acted, and at 10 episodes there is very little padding too. Recommended.

• Like 4

The wife and I have recently started watching and immensely enjoying "Skate into Love - 冰糖炖雪梨" 

It's a modern drama, with likeable cast and OK pacing.

It is still on going, and the first 20-something episodes are availabe on Youtube with English hardsubs.

I think they add 2 new episodes every day.

So, all 40 episodes should be up in the next 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, zander1 said:

Just watched the first episode (watched it on Viki), really enjoyed it and looking forward to continuing (long episodes though!). Made me realize I need to listen to more Taiwanese-accented Chinese as I had to really focus. 

The mainland version split the episodes in half, making 26 thirty minute episodes in total, compared to 13 in the Taiwanese original. It didn't feel at all awkward, and 30 minutes is good for one sitting (although I was watching two a day by the end). The show really starts to take off from episode 5 (or 3 in the Taiwanese version). In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I have already watched it a second time (albeit having it on in the background while doing other things). It's a little bit like Fight Club or The Sixth Sense, in that it's worth watching a second time round just to get the details you missed the first time (although unlike those, there isn't one single shocking twist at the end, it's more like a constant questioning of reality).

• Like 1

For anyone watching 《想见你》, I just discovered that the mainland version deleted some scenes (primarily concerning the homosexuality of one of the characters). While it's not a huge deal in terms of affecting the story (it was a minor character), it's still best to watch the Taiwanese version if you can (that would be the one with 13 one hour + episodes) .

It's strange, I didn't think China was so bothered about that kind of thing. There was a line about how you should be able to love whoever you want, which might have triggered it. I suppose with gay marriage being legal in Taiwan and illegal in China, that might have been seen as veiled criticism (although it was obviously criticism of 90s Taiwan)