Chinese-Forums

Studying at BLCU from Sept?

artichoke

你们好 !

我是澳大利亚人。

我 的 普通话 不太好。

I'll be studying in the 12 week intensive course (beginners). I'm arriving a couple days before class starts. And what about all of you?

再见!

@cat: so finally you got your ticket. Did you get a one-way or return ticket?

I'm also going to attend the one year long-term program, but I'll arive a bit earlier on August 20th.

gotta run,

Puja

P.S.: perhaps we should start some introduction thread or something to get to know each other.

are u guys gonna be staying in the dorms? do u guys know the details on the dorms? i asked this in another thread but no one replied. i heard there is the nasty dorm, and there is the "nice" dorm, more expensive of course. my question is how "nice" is nice?

thanks

did you look at Greymatter's journal? it's probably the most detailed explanation of the blcu experience so far:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/4-favourite-chinese-film550

He's pretty descriptive about how bad 'bad' is. As for the nicer rooms, I hear there are standard rooms on campus, then the nicest rooms are actually in hotels near the campus. <-- I welcome corrections/ affirmations from other people! There is more information online but it takes searching. You can find a few pictures by googling "blcu" and "accomodation" or "housing"

Of course, the concept 'nice' varies between people. Personally, nice = clean, safe, and ventilated. Size does not matter :wink:

Puja: I got a roundtrip ticket. It is an open ticket so I can change the return date if necessary.

yeah size doesn't matter much to me. the things i like for are:

1) Standard shower (I heard in the 'nasty' dorm the "shower" can hardly be called that)

2) Standard toilet & sink (no squatting ugh)

3) Basically clean room, no rats/bugs/etcetc

4) Standard heating/cooling

5) Safety

I'd much prefer a personal bathroom than a public one too

That's all. I don't think that's asking too much... then again, this IS China... :conf

Hi all,

I'm starting at BLCU on the short-term 12 weeks course this September, so wanted to join in the general BLCU accomodation confusion. I have been looking into staying at the conference centre, which seems reasonable, but wasn't yet available for bookings when i tried (a few weeks ago). I've also looked into staying at the Xi Jiao hotel closeby, which may be a safer option, and I know someone who did the course last year who says her friends were happy staying there. I'm pretty sure that the pictures on their website (http://www.xijiao-hotel.com.cn/english/kfjs/kfjs.htm) are somewhat misleading, so if anyone has any more info on staying there, i'd really appreciate hearing from you. The prices seem quite reasonable if you're prepared to stay a while, and it is very close to campus...

I'm glad to see so many people are coming to Beijing in September - it should be fun, and i agree Puja that it would be good to set up some sort of thread so we can get to know each other beforehand.

Good luck with the room hunting,

Pete.

Hi everyone,

I'll be attending the long term program at BLCU, too. I will arrive on august 29, just before classes start.

I'm from Chile (south-america), 29 year old male. I expect to get a decent dorm, probably shared, but at least with a toilet in it, not a public one.

Hope to meet you all!! Feel free to pm me or e-mail me if you want.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

good idea on meeting up. I think perhaps we should do some general meeting for all those studying at BLCU this fall. I think we're at least 6 to 10 people so we could meet up for some dinner and maybe some beer (or er guo tou :mrgreen: ) later.

But better start a new thread for that.

btw, we have an introduction thread for those at BLCU here

Cheers,

Puja

• New Members

Hi,

Hope I'm not intruding...=) I'll be at Tsinghua University for a year though. I'm 22, from Toronto, Canada... hoping to meet some new friends in BJ.

Hi Etcetera, I noticed you are from Toronto as well. Please give me a shout!

My email is willchun@gmail.com Send me an email everyone. I think it'd be cool to go out for a drink as well.

Best,

William