Chinese-Forums

Sichuan peppercorn

bhchao

Recently the USDA has lifted the ban on the import of Sichuan peppercorn, Sichuan's signature spice. The reason they were banned is because Sichuan peppercorn belonged to a citrus family that supposedly carried a canker virus which can destroy citrus trees. The presence of this virus in Sichuan peppercorn has never been proven, but the ban was enforced to prevent the destruction of citrus crops in the US.

Finally the USDA lifted the ban on the condition that the peppercorn be heated to 160 degrees prior to importation.

Does heating the peppercorns in this manner result in less spicy flavor in Sichuan dishes?

In my experience, the flavor of 花椒 depends a lot more on it being fresh and how you prepare it rather than if it has been heated or not. A lot of the Sichuan peppercorn (花椒)I've come across in the USA was much older than what I've had in China, so the taste was much weaker.

Finally the USDA lifted the ban on the condition that the peppercorn be heated to 160 degrees prior to importation.

I believe it's 140 degrees for a minimum of 10 minutes. Really trivial, considering that you are going to pan-roast the peppercorns before you use them (aren't you?)

I believe it's 140 degrees for a minimum of 10 minutes. Really trivial, considering that you are going to pan-roast the peppercorns before you use them (aren't you?)

I guess it is trivial after all. You can probably always compensate by adding more peppercorns. 8) I know nothing about Sichuan cooking, but it looks like peppercorns just give Sichuan dishes their fragrant taste, while the chili peppers provide most of the spiciness.

http://www.thatschina.net/20047-p57.htm

• 2 weeks later...

You usually cook with Sichuan peppercorns so the 140oC probably will not matter - a hot wok will be far hotter than this.

It may cause some of the volitile oils to evaporate, meaning you would have to use more than would usually be required to get the same flavour (as per the previous post).