Chinese-Forums

Chinese TV suggestions [preferences listed]

Lumbering Ox

I am looking for some suggestions for Chinese TV shows to watch.

I've been watching tiger mom which is pretty good, it's my first.

I am not looking in reference to how hard or easy the language is, I'll be dependent on English subtitles for a while yet, I am looking for suggestions on the basis of pure watchability.

I like shows that are on the light side but without getting silly to the point of Benny Hill. I like clever. I don't like depressing, well sometimes it's OK but I'd rather not, not watching extremely jerky people doing jerky things nor heavy on the drama without something lighter to break the tension. Also I can live without the po mo, you know post modern, weird for the sake of being weird.

Anything in the realm of politics [Yes Minister, House of Cards], Business/Finance Education or Military gets bonus points as does sensible time travel stuff like the Japanese Samurai Sensei or Nobunaga's Concerto.

Also shows with an adorkable female lead gain major point because I am how do you say, pathetic and desperate. Shows with Alyson Hannigan, Kate Micucci, Lauren Lapkus, Kristen Schaal, become much more watchable.

Shows I have liked in the past.

British, aside from Yes Minister and HoC, Good Neighbours and Inbetweeners. Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister pretty much reaches to peak of TV win.

North American, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mom, The Good Place, Simpsons/Family Guy.

Japanese. The two mentioned above and Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu

Korean. My Husband Got A family, What happens to my family, All about my mom, Oh My Venus , Five Enough.

I find the Korean shows tend to go on for way to long, but a TV station has them on 5 times a week with subtitles so meh.

I don't watch TV much. But last week somebody asked to help find a Chinese show. In the process of verifying it is the one he's looking for, I found the show (男人幫) quite watchable, so I watched it through to the end. It's a romantic tragicomedy, kind of funny and touching at the same time. Dunno if it's your thing, but might be worth giving it a try.

P.S. Shows I have liked in the past:

British: Doctor Who (2005-), Yes Minister/Prime Minister, The IT Crowd, Coupling.

American: The Good Wife, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Orange Is the New Black, Veronica Mars, Elementary, and probably dozen more.

Japanese: Doctor X.

Korean: none.

空鏡子 is the last Chinese show I watched on TV from beginning to end. People on this forum seem to like it. But it's pretty old (2003 if I remember correctly).

If I have to limit my recommendation to only one show based on pure watchability, then it's 武林外傳. You can find more info in the sticky thread.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A Chinese show I am watching now that I quite like, I'm 37 episodes in, is called Princess Agent or 11处特工皇妃. 

As for Korean shows, I must say I have plenty but a most recent one that just ended that you might like is called Lookout or 파수꾼. Not sure if you're going to like this one, Circle or 써클 : 이어진 두 세계 in Korean, it's in a more dystopian/new world theme.

For American shows, I am really liking Madam Secretary and Game of Thrones (is this considered American or British -- most of the actors aren't American, right?). 

• 11 months later...

Update:

My Chinese is gradually improving, meaning I can actually watch several episodes without the need of English subtitles (THANK GOD) so, here are a few shows I've watched since learning Mandarin:

Women of Shanghai:

https://mydramalist.com/28791-women-of-shanghai

A Love So Beautiful:

https://mydramalist.com/24644-a-love-so-beautiful

Meteor Garden (2018):

https://mydramalist.com/23184-meteor-garden

Meteor Garden is my current obsession because I'm just a sucker for this series. I think I've watched almost all (or maybe all??) the versions. Women of Shanghai is the first ever Chinese TV show I watched without subtitles and I was hooked the moment I started it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lrumin94 said:

Women of Shanghai:

Where are you watching this show? Sounds right up my street but couldn't find on youtube and would like to avoid youku if possible (the ads drive me nuts especially as I rewind a lot).

13 hours ago, lrumin94 said:

My Chinese is gradually improving, meaning I can actually watch several episodes without the need of English subtitles (THANK GOD)

How encouraging! How long have you been learning if you don't mind sharing? I'm waiting for the day I can watch TV series without subtitles. 

If you don't mind historical drama. I highly recommend the 2 below. Quite long but in my personal opinion no dull moments.

3 Kingdoms (2010)

Nirvana in Fire

Modern TV series, I have watched the following and enjoyed it:

Ode to Joy 1 and 2

When a Snail Falls in Love

Meteor Garden (2018) - Still watching and I'm much much too old to be watching this but what the heck... I still enjoy it...

Korean Drama:

While You were Sleeping

Because This is My First Life

W

14 hours ago, zander1 said:

Where are you watching this show? Sounds right up my street but couldn't find on youtube and would like to avoid youku if possible (the ads drive me nuts especially as I rewind a lot).

Sorry, I did watch it on Youku. I paid for VIP just so I could get rid of all the floating texts and less ads. I heard Women of Beijing is also nice but I have yet to watch it. 

9 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

How encouraging! How long have you been learning if you don't mind sharing? I'm waiting for the day I can watch TV series without subtitles. 

I started last September 2017, but I'm taking up an intensive Chinese course in Shanghai so I would be so mad if I still can't understand what I'm watching. I've studied for about 8 months in total.

If you don't mind historical drama

I don't mind historical dramas but they do tend to be a bit dragging. I really enjoyed watching Princess Agents.

Ode to Joy 1 and 2

When a Snail Falls in Love

Meteor Garden (2018) - Still watching and I'm much much too old to be watching this but what the heck... I still enjoy it...

I've seen a few episodes of Ode to Joy 1, I like it since I study in Shanghai, I get to see more of the Shanghai life through this show. I just never got to finishing it. Hahaha. Also, I really loved When A Snail Falls In Love, there's another show you should watch called Love Me, If You Dare. I think it's from the same person who wrote the novel of When A Snail Falls In Love, NOT SURE ON THIS ONE!!!

I'm also a sucker for Meteor Garden, so I would still watch it no matter what. Love it!

Because This is My First Life

I've got to check this out. I've seen W (loved it!) and am a few episodes away from finishing While You Were Sleeping.

I have a bad habit of not finishing TV shows and really hate myself for it. I could be 2-3 episodes away from the ending when I stop... kicking myself for it as I write this text...

• Like 1

I'm currently watching 漂亮的李慧珍 (Pretty Li Huizhen) based on a recommendation somewhere in this forum. It's a remake of a Korean drama I think, but it definitely checks your boxes for "adorkable female protagonist" and "on the light side". It pulls at your heart strings a bit, but thus far at least nothing happens that pushes it into soap opera land. Anyway I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Also gonna go ahead and second Love Me, If You Dare. I didn't finish it because much like Irumin I have a bad habit of not finishing TV shows, but I did like it quite a bit, and it's less sappy than many Chinese dramas. I wouldn't necessarily call it light, but it's definitely good fun. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lrumin94 said:

I heard Women of Beijing is also nice but I have yet to watch it. 

I just started episode 1 of Women of Beijing last night and thought it was really excellent.

8 hours ago, lrumin94 said:

Sorry, I did watch it on Youku

Ah okay, I may have to grin and bear it then.