Chinese-Forums

going to BLCU? Introduce yourself here!

etcetera24

my name is maya and i'm also coming for the one year program.

are you coming at the end of august? wanting to live on campus?i'm coming to bejing on august 26th...

hoping to recieve a double room and to not encounter any problems...

see you soon!!

Hi, my name is Erik and im from England, hence my unoriginal username.

Im 20 years old and I will be coming in August for a bachelor degree in september (if i have passed my hsk 3, still waiting for my result:x so im a bit nervouse about that, if no pass then i will study there for six months leading to the degree so i understand)

I will be living in yayuncun at my chinese teachers(UK) sisters place, i think its a fair distance away though. I look forward to meeting you all, especially the degree students.

urm thats all i guess, see you in august:wink: .

Dave

Program: BLCU summer intensive 5 week program

Why: I'm fascinated by languages and I am a teacher of non-native English learners in NYC, USA and hope to use my understanding if Chinese to help my students learn English more effectively. Also, I speak Korean which has a lot of Chinese-derived lexical items; it's interesting to see the connections between the two languages.

Hey Everyone!

I'm pretty new to this site, and have posted only once before. Since then, I've come a long way in deciding exactly what I'd like to do in China this Fall etc.

First name: Kirk

Chinese Name : 江力 (jiang1 li4)

Year Semester- Either 1 or 2 year program.

Why? It's taken me a lot of soul searching to figure this one out. I am a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, (a tiny twin-island nation in the Caribbean). I grew up and attended high school there, however I recently graduated from college in the US. I visited the Mainland in the summer of 2004, (Shanghai and Beijing) and fell in love with many aspects of the culture, the people and the language. I am a big fan of the Beijing accent! lol. Anyways, I've decided that the traditional path, of getting a degree then working, really isn't for me. So why not do something different. At the end of August I will have studied Mandarin intensively for a year, so about 800 characters, but now it's time for the real deal ;)

I'll be arriving at BLCU in late August, on a Chinese Government Scholarship. I'm really looking forward to being in China, and learning the language even better. If there is anyone else out there, in similar circumstances such as mine, please feel free to email or send me a private mesg. I look forward to hearing from you guys, hopefully before we all get to Beijing!

Woo! So definitely confirmed to go to the BLCU this summer.. It seems a little hectic and unorganised though, I sent my application two weeks ago and they only got back to me because I called them this morning asking wtf was happening, if I was going or not. Haha.

SO.

Name: Jenny

Nationality: Korean (but have lived in Seoul, HK, London, and Paris..)

When: The 4-week course from 3 August - 30 August at BLCU

I already did an 8-month intensive course at SOAS in London during my gap year but that was like, 3 years ago so my Mandarin is pretty rusty now.. but hopefully I'll be able to brush up just before I go!

Oh and I need to sort out the accommodation - they said that they would be able to sort it out for me once I get there, but from the accommodation thread by Amanda and others, the rooms at BLCU itself seem.. not so nice and I don't want to be in a situation where I'm there and they give me some shitty room that I don't really want to stay in and no other options, so I may go for the hotel option.. the hotel that's nearby, I forget the name.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you there!

Since Jenny mentioned Amanda's posts about housing, I have to add some info. Basically, I followed her advice, virtually to the letter. The Xijao hotel seems to have upped its rates since she posted. They gave me a smokey room opposite the construction site and charged me nearly 45 dollars/night. I then went to the Beijing Foreign Students Activity Center. They gave me a smokey room on the second floor and that was the best they had. It reeked and was very, very spartan. They charged me approximately 120 yuan a night...say 14-15$ US and this was the price for 5 weeks.

Anyway, I couldn't stay in that room more than one night so I went to the back gate of the university (someone told me about this) and looked at the ads posted for housing. A young girl there at a little snack cart offered to find me a room. After much (and I do mean much-I thought nothing would come of it) deliberation, she connected me with a woman who rents out rooms.

Now, I live near campus (Beijing Foreign Students Activity Center is not near the campus and it's pretty far from the center of things in the area). I share a bathroom with four other students (so far, so good) and my room is much nicer. I paid about $350 for it. Not cheap but for such a short time, it seemed to be best I could do. Anyway, my two cents worth...[

• 4 weeks later...

-Name: Juliet

-Program: I'm in the 12 week intensive program starting August 14th'ish , but i plan on staying in Beijing for a year..not sure if it will all be at BLCU..it depends on how i like it. Anyone planning on studying in another city/school after? I'm arriving a week or so earlier and staying at xijiao for a few days.

-Why studying: Well, im also 1/2 Chinese, but grew up in San Francisco, California where i was spoken to in zero Chinese by my father (some dim sum terms in Cantonese is about it). Tried studying Cantonese for about 6 months in HK..but i had too much fun, spoke too much English, and decided Mandarin would probably be more useful. I came out being REALLY good at taxi directions though....:-)

So my skill level: Ranges from beginner to very bad. I've taken a semester, but that was 6 months ago..

I know alot of you guys are on your way to China (or are already in China) so take care and have a great flight over, just extended my stay so ill be here for about 4 yrs now.. :mrgreen:

If anyone still wants to meet up for a coffee at some point just let me know. :D

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sam and I'l be studying at the BLCU for a year starting in Sept.

In truth I'm a little disorganised with all of the arrangements I'll need to make for this coming year. For example I just got onto this forum today and reading all this stuff seems a little overwhelming but hey...I guess it makes life interesting.

Would really be interested in meeting up with other students. Just let me know when and where hopfully I won't be too lost. I'll be in Beijing in time to register at the end of August. For me it would be best to meet up say August 30th or so just before class starts or even after classes ahve started.

If someone could set up a time and place that would be great.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Sam

Hey all,

I ll be at BLCU for a 6 month intensiv program.

I ll be in Beijing aroung the 12 September for the registrations.

I am almost a complete beginner in Mandarin...

I come from Switzerland and i m 25.

Can't wait to be there.. hope we'll get to know each other soon.

Could anyone tell me how to make sure that the room i tried to book on the campus will be booked for me?? The person I talked to couldn't really understand my english, and my chinese was obviously too week... well, can i be sure that i ll have a room??

Thanx for your help..

Letizia

Hi Guys!

My name is Lina and I'm 22 years old. I'm from Orange County,CA. I will be arriving in Beijing on the 29th of August and will be studying at BLCU until the end of January. I'm still in the mist of trying to find an aprtment because it's much cheaper and more convenient than a dorm. But I guess I will have to book a dorm for the first couple of days. I'm just as lost as everyone else here but at least my chinese is alrite (thanks to mom's pushing to go to chinese school) so I guess I'm ok. If anyone will like to get together and just meet up, that will be great! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Hey everyone,

I'm Clive, 21 from England - going for the year long program at BLCU as a complete beginner in Mandarin.

I fly out tomorrow and hope to make the 27th August registration once I'm settled in.

With any luck I'll be in the Foreign Students Activities Center, at least for a couple months so look forward to seeing some of you there.

Clive