Chinese-Forums

Cappuccino = 卡布奇诺?

Christa

27 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

The coffee powder milk powder and sweetener was mixed in a jug and left sitting there all day

One place I lived for 3 years, the only coffee available (much to the chagrin of several of my co-workers) was Nestle that came in little sachets with creamer powder already added.

The closest McDonalds or KFC was a 45 minute bus ride away.

No, but I remember some years before that when the gift to bring your friends in China was a nice large jar of Maxwell House coffee. For some reason, it had to be Maxwell House. The jar would then be placed on a shelf in the living room for everyone to admire. And so far as I could ever determine, never opened.

Of course, once Maxwell House became available in the shops it lost all its cachet.

You can still get big gift boxes of Nestle Nescafé instant coffee. It comes with a mug or two, spoons and a big jar of instant coffee. Sometimes includes creamer too.

Maxwell and Nescafé still have those delightful flavours. I went through a phase of chocolate instant coffee for a while. 

In Yinchuan, we had no cafes or places with real coffee apart from KFC/McDonalds. A month after I left the first real cafe opened. 

2 hours ago, 889 said:

No, but I remember some years before that when the gift to bring your friends in China was a nice large jar of Maxwell House coffee. For some reason, it had to be Maxwell House. The jar would then be placed on a shelf in the living room for everyone to admire. And so far as I could ever determine, never opened.

Haha yeah I got a Maxwell house at 春节 one time. 20 people looking at me while the gift was presented to me. I had to do the usual examination of the present in awe and look of satisfaction when I drank it in order to please my hosts. I should have got an spot on a TV commercial for my performance.

That reminds me. I gave a bottle of XO brandy and 26yo scotch whisky / whiskey to the in-laws family one春节. Went back a few years later . Still sitting there for all to see. Waste of an expensive present actually as whiskey bottles never come in packages as fancy as even a cheap baijiu so I think it looked like I brought a cheap 7-11 bottle

• 2 weeks later...