Chinese-Forums

Can I get refused by an universy because im not over 18 ?

Vilew

• New Members

Hello guys ! Highschool is almost finished for me (in June) and I was planning to take a gap year to learn mandarin in Beijing (I'm going to take a non-degree course).

I am planning to go this Fall however I've noticed that most of chinese university such as BLCU require to be at least 18 and the problem is that I still won't be 18 (not until this December). A friend of mine told me that BLCU won't accept minor under 18 if their guardian won't come with them or if they aren't working at Beijing, unfortunately, neither of my parents are working at Beijing nor will be able to come with me. But It seems strange to me, it's odd that an university would refuse someone just because he isn't 18 and like, i will be almost 18 when I will depart so it feels stupid. So I wanna ask you if it's true ? I can't go learn chinese in university such as BLCU or BLCC just because i am not 18 ? I won't be granted a student visa because i am still a minor ?

Previous thread on this topic:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/25638-want-to-take-classes-at-bnublcu-but-will-only-be-17/

(it's a little old, things may have changed since then of course.)

If you encounter problems with admittance at BLCU because of the lack of adult supervision, maybe you can ask the university staff if they would be ok with you living with a local host family instead of living in the dorms.

• Helpful 1