Chinese-Forums

Shanghai Jiaotong University

roddy

Hi everyone

The students I know who went to Jiaotong were CIS 1 year language students(who went 2 years ago) so I can't say much about other programs.

I recieved a mail by Jiaotong which states that registration day is the 9th of September.

You can read about the dorms here http://en.sjtu.edu.cn/about-sjtu/life-sjtu/accommodation/international-student-apartments-on-xuhui-campus/

For paying fees I would send them an email since I do not know about these matters.

Mixia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I received an admission notice from Jiao Tong saying that accommodation registration is open from 13 July to 16 July. But as far as I am aware I will find out the outcome of the Shanghai Government Scholarship application at the end of July. So if I don't register for the accommodation now, will on-campus accommodation in the dorms on Xuhui campus still be available later?

I have also received with the admission notice a Shanghai Jiaotong University Scholarship for called Masters Program Type C. I applied for a Shanghai Government Scholarship Type A. So I am wondering does this mean that my application for the Shanghai Government Scholarship was rejected or is this just a separate scholarship I have been awarded? (even though I didn't apply for it)

I am also wondering if this university allows you to do internships or part-time work with their approval?

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably too late but from my understanding they were changing it this year so that you had to of booked and paid up front for you dorm, and then they will pay/reimburse up to the stipulated accomodation allowance. I chose a single room with a private bathroom in the TaoLiYuan (Asian Youth Centre) building for 11,900 RMB and i think the scholarship will cover about half of it. I think it was the most expensive option because the building is new and only opened last year. The other blocks looked very old and not entirely inviting. I've attached the pictures they had up on the booking page.

post-61068-0-78251600-1438246834_thumb.jpg

post-61068-0-71186300-1438246836_thumb.jpg

post-61068-0-54040400-1438246838_thumb.jpg

post-61068-0-68462500-1438246840_thumb.jpg

post-61068-0-25516100-1438246842_thumb.jpg

post-61068-0-80442800-1438246843_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey everyone.. i just received my papers from China, and i got csc for jiaotong university. In papers i got visa application, admission notice and handbook for csc. Im interested what to do next? it doesnt say anything about accommodation in papers that I should do something. It only says that I have to registrate on September the 11th.

@tongaface: The pictures look good though I felt that like this building is more of a hostel than a dorm. But did you get a receipt or a mail with your room number or something like that? I know that I paid but I haven't gotten anything. I am afraid they won't let me into my room since I won't arrive within the office hours. I chose Lianxing Buildung.

@lanicaa11: This might be a problem. Did they reserve rooms for the CSC students? Because we had to reserve rooms online and the reservation period is long over. You might want to write a mail or two and ask.

@Mixia: I didn't get an email confirmation but after i booked and paid there was a confirmation screen which i took a screenshot of (attached).

Did you not get a choice to select which room your wanted? It allowed me to change building, floor, and select my exact room when i booked and also showed which rooms had already been booked/occupied.

How did you pay (I paid by credit card so it was instant confirmation)? Do you still have access to your account on ( http://dorm.sjtu.edu.cn/ )? My successful bookings were listed on there when i logged in after i had booked and it gave options to modify your bookings etc, although it says my password is wrong when i try and access it now even though its correct.

Maybe email them to confirm

EDIT: Does anyone have an english map of Xuhui campus? I can't seem to find one! I didnt receive anything but my visa application and admission letter in my package, no CSC handbook like you @lanicaa11

post-61068-0-81804800-1438754603_thumb.png

• Like 1

Will everyone come with a medical examination? It's written that they want one for registration but honestly I would rather just have it done in China since it is very expensive in Germany and they often don't accept the foreign examinations. I asked them per mail about it but haven't received an answer...

@tongaface: yeah, I also got that confirmation screen. I think I even made a screenshot but I need to check if I saved it and if I saved it where I put that file. It was 3 in the morning and my brain does not like being woken up in the middle of the night ;)

I think I know where my room is but not the roomnumber.

I can't access the website anymore( well I can't log in). I hope there won't be any problems since I won't arrive during office hours.

• 8 months later...
  • New Members

@l.carranza  I have a preadmission letter from SJTU, but I had to go through all the process (at the time of the application I didn't have an award letter, so I have to pay and everything)  I have been accepted for a master program.

Apparently you don't have to pay, but you should ask to the coordinator of the program you are interested in or ask to  the international student office! Good luck 

http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/ueditor/net/upload/2016-03-16/112c6c7f-e110-4864-bf31-c101c7487aaf.pdf 

http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/EN/show.aspx?info_lb=237&info_id=295&flag=33

• 1 month later...

I'm searching for complete lists of courses offered at the Shanghai Jiaotong

Is there anybody at Shanghai Jiaotong that can link me to some sort of course list? 

• Example: UCLA's course list for Chinese department http://www.registrar.....HIN &funsel=3
  • No course descriptions necessary. Lists of titles are sufficient. 
    (I'll take whatever I can get)
  • Primarily interested in lists for liberal arts - foreign languages, sociology, literature, history, international relations 
  • No MOOCs, no incomplete 精品课程 lists necessary. 

What I've found for the other schools just isn't complete enough and for Shanghai Jiaotong I've found no lists or searchable databases.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I got a CGS class A scholarship for Shanghai Jiaotong University for the Masters of Law taught in Chinese and just had a few questions about attendance requirements (and whether or not I should go to Shanghai at all).

I have to attend a course in Hong Kong from September to November and January to mid-April which is compulsory for me to attend for the law firm I work for (PCLL).

I was wondering if I registered at Jiaotong in 2nd week of September attended one week of classes while I wait for my residence permit then go back to Hong Kong for 2.5 months then go back to Shanghai in December and start of January (possibly I would also need to fly back for mid-semester assessments for a few days?) and then do a similar thing in 2nd semester, attending all exams and registration and probably being on campus for 7/18 weeks in semester 1 and 9-10/18 weeks in semester 2, is this feasible? (Apart from the fact that I have a high chance of failing the course I mean it seems these universities don’t mark attendance although I think it would depend on the course)

I know there is probably some rule saying that I should attend 70% or more of classes or something like that but if attendance is not marked and immigration did not notify Jiaotong when I left China to go back to Hong Kong then apart from the hassle of doing this, is there any other reasons why I shouldn’t do this?

Hi guys,

Can any of you please share your experiences at Jiao Tong University?

I would like to do a Chinese language course there, and wanted to hear about your own personal experiences and any other recommendations you may have (accommodation, living, eating etc).

THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hey guys

I'm quite confused with applying for accomodations. I am a CIS student coming this sept and have received the handbook which basically says you need to pay for your accomodation to secure it. However I've not received any details as to whether my costs will be subsidised during the application process.

Doesnt really help that we cant log on and see before.

And does anyone know where I can see more pictures of the accomodation?

Thanks for the pictures for the new taoliyuan building @tongaface

@Wingie

I was wondering the same thing about the payment. 

There are pictures of every building on the site you have to use to reserve a room: dorm.sjtu.edu.cn. You can just click on 'explore this building' and you'll get pictures of the rooms, bathrooms, and lobbies.

However, I just tried to reserve a room and it seems that most rooms, at least the double ones, are already booked. I'm on the waiting list now myself.