Chinese-Forums

Student Visa and Health Checkup

lakesandrivers

Read up on more than a few websites. As a result more than a tad confused ...

Is it JW201 for self-supporting students and JW202 for scholarship students? But the acceptance letter I have in front of me at the moment states JW202 but I am definitely a self-supporting student. If there would be a problem I would rather nip it in the bud. Which is it?

Foreigner Physical Examination Form is needed for long-term (>6 mo) X2 student visa, no? So do I:

a) do this exam here in Brisbane, Australia or

b) do I do it at mainland, or

c) do I need to do this here AND at the mainland? 

Confused :help

• Good question! 1

Not an authoritative answer but I'd say do it in China, there's clinics dedicated to doing just the tests you need and obviously the paperwork comes in the correct format and language. Was a really perfunctory run around several different docs in a one-stop shop affair here in Beijing when I did it, must have been in and out in about half an hour.

To the best if knowledge (when I did it), the JW202 is for students studying 6 months or more for a X2 visa , nothing to do with scholarship or self paying.

Physical exam is done in China only not your home country. You will be told where to go by the school. It's an official government building. 

It means being shoved about room to room by rude staff getting poked and proded. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

The Uni says the JW202 form and admission notice are on the way via DHL. Imagine the 8,400 km these papers travel ... Then I thought, "Maybe I should do the foreigner health check now?" Then surprisingly the Consulate's website does not list a health check requirement for X1 visa. I will call the Consulate and Uni up next week in any case.

But in case it is required, how long did it take to get the health check result for you guys? Any Australian students who had it taken here in Australia?

This is a consideration for me in planning logistics because I want to fly 6,400 km to spend some time with my mom (65 and ticking. "It" will come for us all, sooner or later) before I head off to Shenyang. For the next six years she has to come and see me, in case I get bogged down with getting A's (heh)

If you do the health check in your home country you usually must then take that and get it authenticated in China. This is usually at the same place you go for a health check and you still have to pay. At least, this is my experience in Beijing. 

As above, better to do it in China if possible. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChTTay said:

As above, better to do it in China if possible. 

Yep.  Saves the hassle of having to do it all again when the Chinese side decides not to recognise or accept the health check from your country.

Thank you, y'all!

Okay, so if the Consulate and/or Uni do not ask for it then I will just do it on the mainland, then. Will call them up next week.

16 minutes ago, emuboy said:

have another one as soon as I got to China.

Then it makes sense to just do it there, if the choice was mine to make. Hmm ...

@lakesandrivers Sorry I've been away from the site for some time. It can get quite busy in China. As someone who's been in this situation before I think I should add a thing or two. For the health check, in my case I had to do it again in China anyways(seems mandatory for everyone) so if it's not listed on embassy requirements I wouldn't bother doing it. As for the JW202 form, it really depends on the Uni. Some will give you a JW202 form even if you've been awarded a full scholarship which will require you to show financial proof to the embassy. I think the JW202 is for all scholarships other than CSC and can still get you the X1 Visa. Good luck with your application. @roddy thanks for the mention.

Edit: Some people that did their health check in their country actually only had to do a few extra tests. Nonetheless it'd be better to redo the whole check in China if the embassy doesn't require you to submit one(submitting it wouldn't hurt either)

4 hours ago, LanceGonza said:

I had to do it again in China anyways(seems mandatory for everyone)

@LanceGonza No worries! The Uni has since explained in clear terms that if the consulate general does not demand the health check for the X1 visa then I do not need to do it here in Australia, but there in China. But if the consulate general demands it, then of course I need to acquiesce, but I would need to do it again in China prior to registration.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mungouk said:

miracle health screenings in Aus are covered by Medicare.

That is akin indeed to living to 800 years old, walking on water, bringing the dead to life, calming the storms or turning plain H2O into the best wine in the house, ok ok, I will stop now ... ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...