Chinese-Forums

Is this efficient for listening comprehension?

Qiaofei

• New Members

Hi~I've been learning Chinese for a year now and have recent a decent elementary going on intermediate level. I keep a journal so I can write in Chinese everyday, I often read it out loud and it has helped my speaking skills. But my worst skill is my listening and I plan to go to China in two years, and I'd rather try and get it as good as possible before I go. I'd say my two main problems with listening are:

1.) the actual comprehension. It really depends on the vocabulary, for instance I often hear from youtubers "欢迎来到我的视频台“, ”欢迎来到我的频道“ at the beginning of videos. I'm always able to comprehend it without even realizing it. But with other vocabulary/sentences sometimes I wouldn't even know that I knew all of the words until I looked at the subtitles. Is this normal for someone who's basically JUST started trying to actively listen to Chinese, and is it something that will just be 'fixed' over time with listening?

2.) The listening speed. I'm also going to assume this is something I'll have to overcome with practice but lack of vocabulary has never been my problem.Even when I try to tell myself to keep listening when I don't understand, as soon as they speed up it's like my ears refuse to listen. Just today I was watching two youtube videos in Chinese. This one from 0.33 to 1:39 I was actually able to understand a lot of it from the first listen since it was pretty basic vocabulary, I knew all of the vocabulary except 2 words. (类型,清洁 ) I was able to guess the pronunciation for the two words and look them up using pinyin and the characters from the subtitles.  I was able to do that with the other video for looking up the word museum. My concern is I feel like I wasn't fully comprehending every word even after repeating the same part over and over again to try and train my ear to the speed. Is this normal when listening in general not just for someone with poor listening skills, not comprehending every single word.

I've kind of 'mixed' up a method, I've seen used on here and wanted feedback on how it may help with my comprehension in the future.

-watch once without looking at the subtitles or pausing

-watch a 2nd time and pause and repeat over parts I couldn't understand or had trouble keeping up with the speed. (write down key vocab words if needed)

- repeat step 2 and take longer pauses and try to repeat sentences I couldn't understand or keep up with the speed.

-watch while reading subtitles

-watch once more without subtitles or pausing

I'm going to try this out to see where it gets me. I've been able to find a bunch of resources, tons of dramas on movies youtube, some speak faster than others. I also like the mandarin corner channel because her accent is different from what I usually hear, so that can help me adjust, slow Chinese for something more easier and to help with comprehension problem, Chinese youtubers, Chinese pod101 listening videos/pods and some Chinese podcasts I've found online.

From a previous post of mine:

---

As for specifics, this post provides specific steps for how to drill listening (it's what got me first started on drilling).  Make sure to read the follow up posts later in the thread by the same author.  I've also written up my own thoughts in a post here.  Note, those posts are years old now and the resources listed in them no longer exist.  See this thread on potential replacements for 锵锵三人行.

• Like 1