Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Tomsima

The 2019 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Tomsima
21 minutes ago, roddy said:

I've been trying 12-week years for... well, just over half of one

really interesting idea, let us know how it goes. id be really interested in trying this out if you see a really noticeable difference in results

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

AdamD
1 hour ago, roddy said:

So aim for an 84 day chain, then reassess.

It’s a good idea, but honestly I think the goals which work for me are the real world hard-and-fast ones, like exams and travel plans. Day-to-day motivation has never been a problem.

It’s probably too early to say, but is the 12 week year working for you?

Right now my only goal is to do the parts I enjoy and make friends I want to stay in touch with. In past visits I’ve been panicked about speaking all Chinese all the time, but this year I’m just going with the flow. If I make good friends with people who speak mostly English, eh, it’s fine, I’ll end up coming across their friends who most likely won’t. Paradoxically my best times there have been playing games like Cards Against Humanity with great people.

• Like 2

imron
3 hours ago, AdamD said:

…I’m trapped in this language, aren’t I?

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave 🎶

• Like 3

Shelley

Slightly off topic but is this the 伊戈尔斯.  Is this the correct translation for the Eagles? 

Tomsima

18 minutes ago, Shelley said:

Is this the correct translation for the Eagles? 

taken from baidu:

《加州旅馆》(Hotel California)是美国著名乡村摇滚乐队老鹰乐队(Eagles)的歌曲

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 2

roddy
17 hours ago, Tomsima said:

id be really interested in trying this out if you see a really noticeable difference in results

So far I'm liking it. I'm not going to pretend I've done everything I've set out to, but I've probably done more than I would have otherwise.

15 hours ago, AdamD said:

It’s a good idea, but honestly I think the goals which work for me are the real world hard-and-fast ones, like exams and travel plans. 

Absolutely, and where I have something like that coming up I'll work around it rather than some arbitrary date. But if an exam date is 9 months in the future, I need some kind of milestone, artificial or not, between that and now. 

• Like 1