Chinese-Forums

Practicing humble tasks

abcdefg

Yes. I also like to read: notices and warnings, tickets (including the reverse), bottle labels, signs of all sorts, sad missing people flyers, etc.

So if you see someone at a Metro station somewhere in China with their nose up against the wall trying to read the passenger rules and regulations, it's probably me.

• Like 3

Ages ago using a paper dictionary I relied on radicals a lot. Now, I usually first try to make a reasoned guess of the Pinyin, and if that fails I'll probably try to write it out on Pleco or the like.

And so if I just type wangwen into Pleco I get the answer.

Of course it's easy to make mistakes by taking a text too literally sometimes, but the sort of formal stuff I tend to read like those notices usually can be taken literally.

@Bibu -- I use the 889 method. Plus the pictures help immensely. My personal rules for understanding Chinese are similar to my rules for gunfighting. Number one is "always cheat, always win." 

• Like 2

When I lived in Montreal, Canada everything and I mean everything is written in French and English. While sitting on the bus or the metro or just about anywhere you had 5 min I would read both, food packaging was very enlightening. and increased my vocabulary.

It did make smile that even the doors had push and pull in both languages, things like exit signs and all the common sorts of things were all in both languages, I always wondered as a kid why they didn't come up with a common picture everyone understood. All signs were twice as big as they needed to be.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 889 said:

ges ago using a paper dictionary I

This is not the guess work i refer. 

No Dict, no Pleco, just by the context and the character (radicals  of course) , and figure out the meaning of it...this is 望文生义

23 minutes ago, 889 said:

It's called "taking the Fifth," because under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, no person "shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself."

And I used the phrase in jest, because I would never cheat at cards. 

I do, however, "cheat" by using the pictures which accompany text to help me understand meaning.