Chinese-Forums

corona virus -motivation now completely dried up

suMMit

For the last year ive been the most enthusiastic, dedicated, motivated student of zhong wen that you can imagine. 

Since this hit i havent even been able to bring myself to listen to a chinese pod episode.

has anyone elses motivation decreased? what toll will this take on chinese learning?

not at all. im using the extra time at home to finally get on with something ive wanted to do for many years but never really had the time: 必背古詩詞

one poem a day until were free/the book is finished/other depressing outcome. im competing with my nephew who is already on around 80 or so.

learning chinese is like the ultimate thing for when youre trapped on a desert island/in a zombie apocalypse. Literature can take you into another world away from it all, and even more so when it's literature from a whole different culture than what you grew up with.

pick up a book, get away from it all

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 歐博思 said:

Lackluster government response got you doubting the language's culture?

Nothing could be further from the truth!

The CPCs responses has been exceptional, one benefit of a one party state . There in no chance UK could react that fast. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Nothing could be further from the truth!

The CPCs responses has been exceptional, one benefit of a one party state . There in no chance UK could react that fast. 

Their response being "exceptional" is also arguably not true. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/world/asia/coronavirus-crisis-china-response.html

• Like 2

Give yourself a break. 

Really nasty infections are not restricted to China and the last epidemic was 17 years ago. I would hope this does not kill your passion for China or Chinese. 

The only effect the coronavirus has on me is that my enthusiasm for wet markets has somewhat gone down. I used to love fresh fish and food markets and took 1000s of pictures of them in China, SE-Asia, Sicily, Portugal, etc. Maybe I should wear a mask next time I go to visit such a market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suMMit said:

has anyone elses motivation decreased? what toll will this take on chinese learning?

I run my own business, study a Chinese Bachelor degree full time online and I'm now a proud father. Despite the virus, this is one of my most relaxing times I've had in years. I can finally sit down and catch up on some old textbooks, finish my online assignments early without stressing about deadlines, and actually have time to enjoy watching some Chinese films. 

If you've been studying hard for a year, use this time to take a break and think about what you've learnt this year. If not, it's the perfect time to stay at home and do some Chinese studying. Any time you feel down, don't forget to connect with your loved ones. After all, it's Chinese New Year, don't forget about 团圆。

• Like 3

@suMMit I would like to understand more about what it is that has actually upset you.

I don't understand why this has affected you so badly.

What has learning chinese and all the rest that goes with it, the culture, meeting new people, seeing the wonderful spectacle that is china and enjoying the amazing food got to do with an outbreak of a virus?

If you were learning say for example French and were living in France and there was a similar outbreak would it cause you the same reaction?

I am glad you are going to listen to a few podcasts. Don't abandoned everything you have learnt just becuase of a virus.

• Like 1

None at all. Actually since I study from the US of A I've found that my online study buddies have too much free time now. 

Like 30 past, present, and potential language partners have hit me up on Tandem and Hellotalk over the last day. I can't keep up with it! I need less spoken practice so I can get back to reading!

• Like 1

I go through cycles usually. maybe 1/2 a year I'll be really into my studies but at that pace I burn myself out

I think studying every day is better but a reasonable amount. like an hour/day 

we are the result of our daily habits compounded over time

9 hours ago, Shelley said:

I don't understand why this has affected you so badly.

Because this is bigger than people are making it out to be and I'm very worried about it. I'm not sure if studying Chinese is the best way to get this off of my mind. But then again, nothing else is getting off my mind either.

With regards to worrying .... The way I look at it is worrying won’t actually help anyone, especially yourself.

I’m in Beijing, at home, and just trying to take a day at a time. The figures for Beijing are 80 infected, 2 recovered, 1 fatality. In Shunyi district it’s 1 confirmed. It’s not a big percentage. I’m not overly worried right now when I’m staying at home. I mask up and avoid people when outside. 

Did I remember right that you left China or are leaving? 

If I were you I’d just take a break from Chinese and China for a couple of weeks. Do whatever you like to do instead and then work your way back into it. Don’t even try to do anything Chinese related for two weeks, even podcasts about China. This will be easier if you’re not actually in China of course. 

3 hours ago, suMMit said:
1 hour ago, suMMit said:

have know idea what that means, I also don't give a toss.

A recent meme that's been floating around online about an American named Flora who lives in Wuhan and has been panicking hysterically

• Like 1

i know you are not going to like my input but I think you need to man up and think about  all those thousands upons of chinese nurses doctors, state workers who are trying to deal with this situation surround by infected people, let alone all those poor families trapped in wuhan , who won't have the option of returning back to the privileged western lifestyles. 

This situation is not about you and your nervous disposition stopping your from learning Chinese.

Its not just a personal attack on you mate but sometimes people need to be told straight out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

all those thousands upons of chinese nurses doctors, state workers who are trying to deal with this situation surround by infected people, let alone all those poor families trapped in wuhan

Oh, yeah I didn't realize this. Wow, thank you for filling me in. 

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

the option of returning back to the privileged western lifestyles. 

Don't presume to know what my situation is.

I meant no ill will in staring this topic. I thought it was relevant. I regret having started it.