Chinese-Forums

Bailing out

abcdefg

Actually sounds like a smart decision. Better safe than sorry. 

My gut feeling is that it won't be a huge pandemic like everyone is fearing and the numbers so far are pretty miniscule considering the size of the population . But better safe than sorry I guess! Good luck on your travels. Hope you can come back soon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 889 said:

There's also the concern that as this progresses air tickets out of the region may become unavailable on short notice or very expensive.

That is already happening. 

Self isolation for two weeks on your arrival.

Very important reminder, @Flickserve -- Thank you. 

Safe trip! It's a wise choice for now. Personally, I would've done the same a few years back, but now we have a 3 month old son, so travelling is just out of question for us. Sure, my wife and I can wear a proper mask, but there aren't any for babies. Too much risk! 

Enjoy your trip!

"The government has floated a highly controversial idea in recent days: to stop mainland Chinese passengers from transiting through Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to help combat the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, the Post has learned. But because of strong resistance from the aviation industry, discussions led by the Transport and Housing Bureau are at a standstill, according to people familiar with the matter."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3047899/china-coronavirus-hong-kong-officials-proposed-stopping

EDIT: Check your flight! Just announced late Tuesday afternoon, "Flights from and to the mainland will be cut by half."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3047907/china-coronavirus-hong-kong-government-deny-entry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 889 said:

EDIT: Check your flight! Just announced late Tuesday afternoon, "Flights from and to the mainland will be cut by half."

Thanks for the tip. I'll monitor it closely. 

5 hours ago, roddy said:

Hope the trip goes smoothly, and hoping for a swift return. 

Thanks, Roddy. I always go back to the US once a year. Had originally planned to go a little later, second half of February. So going now instead isn't really all that radical. 

6 hours ago, abcdefg said:

I'm old and have bad lungs, so that factors into the equation

I think it is very reasonable to get yourself out of there given your age and concerns. 

However, since anyone traveling from China could be infected and could pose a risk,  a voluntary 2 week self-quarantine (incl. wearing a mask in your home country) would not be a bad idea in my opinion.

Best wishes!

Man, you have so much energy. I am like a sloth after a long flight.

It would be difficult to really isolate oneself totally. But a careful diary just in case you did fall ill would be helpful for contact tracing

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flickserve said:

But a careful diary just in case you did fall ill would be helpful for contact tracing

That's another excellent idea. And I had not thought of it. Thank you!

From a health perspective, try to avoid touching your mouth, nose & eyes with your hands.  Wash them regularly.  If you have alcohol gel, use enough so there is a 10-15 second "contact time" (needed to inactivate the virus).  While your risk of the coronovirus is small, this will also protect from the regular flu (which according to CDC, killed 80,000 in the US in 2018).  

Masks are helpful because they can inhibit you from touching your face.  (and yes, N95s will filter the air.  However, much of the risk will likely be from your hand).