Chinese-Forums

Tech-savvy question: hiding hardcoded subtitles on videos

xinoxanu

I didn't really know where to put this since I don't think we have a subforum for tech-related questions. Kindly let me know/move it otherwise.

So: the other day I was watching Thomas阿福, who creates daily and very diverse content in chinese, and I noticed my eyes were constantly trying to read the hardcoded english subtitles, instead of just listening or reading the ones in chinese. Now, I know that our brains will automatically go the easier route, specially when we are not focused, but it bothers me because I am perfectly capable of following this type of content without subtitle support. This very same situation happens to me every time I am watching a chinese-made movie at the theater, but I let it slide because, well, 没办法·. ?

Therefore, I was wondering if someone here with an IT background has some idea on how we could solve this?

So far, my solution would be to create some kind of chrome/firefox extension that is basically a resizable, floating black box you can drag anywhere on your screen... but I wouldn't even know where to start. Either way, It sounds so useless that I don't think anybody has ever done something like this, but for language learners could be a great tool!

Thanks all!

2144424809_BlackBox.thumb.png.28c72b9187f424546ca71ad37e4af3f6.png

Wow, thank you all!

All 3 are great and interesting workarounds, specially subtitlehider which seems to be what I was looking for all along. Will see what works best for my situation.

Cheers!?

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I've resorted to what @roddy recommended, but I am using a VLC window set to "always on top" instead. SubtitleHider seems like a good idea, but it's not a portable app nor is able to stay on top in full screen, unfortunately.

Capture.thumb.JPG.439b540a8a0b5f98ce164a625e492c80.JPG

PS: The screenshot is not in fullscreen mode since it's a pain to take screenshots that way ?

Actually, I just thought of a different idea: playing a youtube video via VLC and then cropping the aspect ratio or fiddling with in-built options.

This is how it looks like at an aspect ratio of 2:21:1(you can go "higher/lower") - In this video the result isn't perfect because of where the subtitles have been placed, but it may work better in others.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.a5e57b5d9817a60bfa9b4adf45c111de.JPG

But wait, there's more!

What if we play with VLC's cropping effects? By going to Tools > Effects and filters (ctrl+E) > Video Effects > Crop, you get to choose how many pixels you want out the picture from any margin. Admittedly this takes a minute to do, but if you are planning to watch a long movie or don't mind a slightly longer set-up, it then may be the only solution to achieve the best ratio of picture loss / quality of learning.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.5f2a328ed075c6e676213246e0bac896.JPGCapture3.thumb.JPG.c247e874733a18f561401a376b32ee9a.JPG

(No English subtitles / Without subtitles)

If you have gone to the trouble of downloading the video, you can try experimenting with handbrake - I think it has a setting where you can render the video and cut off the bottom part.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flickserve said:

If you have gone to the trouble of downloading the video

I am actually not downloading the video: instead of youtube, I am simply playing it from VLC as a network stream, which only takes an extra 20s to do.

To do that, just open a new VLC window and drag&drop a youtube link inside. The video should start playing automatically. (More on this here)