Chinese-Forums

Best Chinese Dicts

shawky.nasr

Best dict  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dictionary you think good one?

• 辞海
    • 汉语大词典
    • 现代汉语词典
    • 新世纪汉英大词典
    • 成语大词典
    • 涵芬App
    • 现代汉语规范词典

1 hour ago, Insectosaurus said:

do you know of any dictionaries that include the mainland traditional version? Guifan does so for one character words but not anything else. For example, one that gives me 爲何 instead of 為何, 終于 instead of 終於 and 説服 instead of 說服. I do think my examples are correct, but I might also be completely off.

I recommend any old Chinese dictionary in mainland will be ok.

Best option you can use 汉语大词典

there are online for some dictionaries

千篇国学 dictionary

千篇国学

How reliable are the Guifan's information about traditional characters? They claim 傢 is the traditional version of 家 jiā in it's most common sense (home, family etc), while 家 is reserved for jia and jie. Is there a simple way to check with 通用规范汉字表 under what circumstances each variant is preferred? I know this is totally irrelevant for most learners but I'd still like to find an answer. Note that I'm not after a historial dictionary per se, but rather want to find out the "official" or "preferred" conversion according to mainland policy, as suggested by 通用规范汉字表.

You can buy: 

1,現代漢語詞典 (繁體版) 作者:中國社會科學院語言研究所詞典編輯室
出版社:香港商務印書館
出版日:2016/01/01
語言:繁體中文
ISBN13:9789620702112
裝訂/頁數:精裝/1564頁

2,現代漢語學習詞典

B36A191B-E9C1-48E1-B676-609ED99078C8.thumb.jpeg.4b1196a87cd72316fb214691eab1311f.jpeg

1 hour ago, shawky.nasr said:

現代漢語詞典

I'm really grateful for all your help, I just want to start by saying that! Is that the same dictionary as this one? Do you know if the app has option for traditional as well? My Chinese is still not good enough to browse this sort of information quickly, so sorry if the answer is obvious. A physical dictionary would not be an option for what I will be using it for (manually editing my flashcards).

Update: So, I noticed there was a tryout possible before paying. Does not seem to offer traditional, unfortunately. For single characters though, it clarifies what traditional is considered the preferred conversion, and what are considered variants. And just like Guifan, it says 家:s preferred traditional is 傢, so I'm guessing that's correct.

I've bought Xiandai Hanyu Cidian Xinhua Zidian as well. They both seem like very good dictionaries, Xiandai Hanyu Cidian has much more accessible defiintions than the Guifan, at least for me. I have a few questions about symbols I can't find explanations for (see images below):

1. The first one is the // in the pinyin. Is this just a way of saying it's not really a "word" per se, but rather an expression, and if so, why not spaces, as in other readings? I know how tou2 da4 is used as I've encountered it in dramas, I just want to make sure I totally understand what the dictionary tries to tell me. First I thought it might be the V-O-construction but I don't see how tou2 da4 could be considered one? My best guess is that it just mean's the word is splittable in (another character can be inserted in between).

2. Here I'm guessing it's just a heads up that we get a classic neutral last tone, instead of xiao1 xi1, or is it something more that dot/circle is symbolizing?

3. This is from the Xinhua Zidian. I can't seem to find the asterisk explained in the entry. I do understand the traditional/variant distinction, but not the asterisk.

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 15.52.33.png

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 15.52.55.png

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 15.53.21.png

31 minutes ago, Insectosaurus said:

The first one is the // in the pinyin

离合词

like:吵架、打仗、洗澡?、担心

31 minutes ago, Insectosaurus said:

Here I'm guessing it's just a heads up that we get a classic neutral last tone, instead of xiao1 xi1, or is it something more that dot/circle is symbolizing?

because xi is 轻声

• Helpful 1

Edit: Nevermind, problem seems M1 related. The app isn't able to find any internet connection.

Edit 2: This is actually quite frustrating since I've just bought the dictionary (New Century). It's on my Macbook (iPad app via M1), and it just can't seem to find any wifi connection. Anyone heard of this issue with other iOS apps via M1 or have recommendations on how to solve it? I can't find anything searching around. It's only in this dictionary the wifi does not work.

8 hours ago, Insectosaurus said:

any internet connection

I guess that relate to their server in China, when i am using VPN, many of apps doesn't work.

i suggest you send email to company haidi as feedback, they can solve it.

• Like 1

I've run into another symbol, which I think is a common dictionary symbol I've not completely grasped. It's the hollow triangle, which Daijisen (Japanese) uses for non Jojo kanji I think. Perhaps it means both 台 and 臺 are valid? I know that's the case in Taiwan so it would make sense. These asterisks still confuse me a bit as well.

Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 13.56.31.png

You know there stranded from China call 《通用规范汉字表》, in this dictionary:

* mean this 异体字in this table.

** mean not included in 通用表 table

hollow triangle mean has other meaning 另出字头

参考凡例

9B374056-2B75-4712-BE58-0F16E323F565.thumb.png.f5d82534ea8d069211062d748b16e281.png

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, shawky.nasr said:

You know there stranded from China call 《通用规范汉字表》, in this dictionary:

* mean this 异体字in this table.

** mean not included in 通用表 table

hollow triangle mean has other meaning 另出字头

You're an angel.

Sorry for spamming this thread (I still feel like I'm on topic). ☺️

Does anyone know what unicode symbols are used in the following pictures? I'm thinking of the middle dot (it might just be a bold  ‧ but I doubt it) and the slashes (which are of smaller height than the surrounding letters). I'm adding information to my Anki deck and prefer to use the correct symbols, both because of accuracy and design. Both images are from Xiandai Hanyu Cidian.

P.S. If any of the moderators want clean up the thread, feel free to remove my posts, since most of my questions have been answered. I perhaps should have written directly to shawky.nasr in a private message, but am not a very seasoned forum user.

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 14.39.39.png

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 14.39.46.png