Chinese-Forums

My struggle learning 110 Anki Flashcards

phoneticsem

My Textbook has 10-15 new words for each chapter. I wrote down all 110 words from the text book and their components in the notebook and created an Anki Deck with 110 words. 

Struggling with these issues:

1.If I remember meaning, I will forget pronunciation.

2.If I remember pronunciation, I will forget the tone.

3. If I do not revise for few days, forgetting meaning also.

4. could not remember components meanings 

Actually these are from Secondary 4 text book, and tough ones. 

Any advise how to overcome the above struggles?

Edit: I will edit this portion based on the Tricks to learn Anki Deck from replies:

1. Persistence. Initially it happens to most people that they will forget meanings/writing/pronunciation. Keep revising them until you master. 

2. listen to the pronunciation Audio

3. Initially start with few words say 5 and keep increasing gradually

4. Create a Pleco Bookmarks, revise : Daily going through 50 words/Components from Pleco (already learnt once) and revising 10 Cards from Anki.

5. Use Sample sentences for few words

6. If you are not able to recollect  the meaning then  split up. First focus completely on one character and learn that and learn other one.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:56 AM, mungouk said:

Get flashcards with native speaker audio on them (not text-to-speech),

How to Get flashcards with native speaker audio on them (not text-to-speech)?

I some times follow the pleco pronunciation are you referring that as text-to-speech?

On 2/24/2022 at 6:11 AM, alantin said:

Create sentences with a native speaker using them, get audio for them too, and put them to your Anki.

How can I get sentences formed by native  speaker using my 110 vocabulary? 

On 2/24/2022 at 10:38 PM, phoneticsem said:
On 2/24/2022 at 12:11 AM, alantin said:

Create sentences with a native speaker using them, get audio for them too, and put them to your Anki.

I suggest scheduling tutoring sessions with tutors through iTalki or similar service. Create sentences beforehand and have the tutor correct them or create them with the tutor. Also ask the tutor to record the sentences for you.

I've done that many times at different points during my studies.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:18 AM, mungouk said:

...or use a standard textbook that already has the audio recorded for you. Many of them do.

Yeah... Might save you some trouble, but actually creating the sentences yourself, with help from the tutor, is the first part of processing the new words and using them to express something about your own life gives you a personal connection to them. This is hands down the best method I know for learning words that stubbornly elude you.

Here is one of my most memorable ones. It had a lot of new words for me at the time and I've never had any trouble remembering them. You probably see why..

上个星期一,我的小狗做了一个膝盖的手术
然后 它几个周都不能动
所以它心情不好

The audio: normal.m4a

Edit: And here is the subject:
dog.png.24b1d0dfebc5f44232f6e78fa8d01551.png

• Helpful 1

On 2/25/2022 at 4:38 AM, phoneticsem said:

paid service or language partner.

Paying a person is much more reliable. 

Consider having three or four simple sentences that use the vocabulary that you want so that you get reinforcement. 

It is also worth saying that your experience is very normal, keep persisting and it will eventually stick. As the early words start to stick, your brain will get used to the process and become more receptive - learning words will gradually get easier and feel less frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

You can consider buying the Pleco basic package, which includes the SRS flashcard addon and additional native audio for majority of the words in the Pleco dictionary. 

You can also consider starting again but instead of adding all 110 words in one go, only add a few each day. 110 in one go might be too much for your brain to handle. Try starting from chapter 1, and only add the first 5 words, then the next day, add the next 5. If at any point, you free overwhelmed or struggling, then simply don't add any new words for a day or two. It may seem slow, but a steady pace is generally better than a whole load in one go.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:40 AM, mungouk said:

Pleco only has add-ons for Text-to-speech

There are two audio add-ons called "Extended Audio", one from a female speaker and the other from a male speaker. Both of these are human recordings. The text-to-speech addons are different from those.

When you view a word in Pleco, next to the pinyin there's a play/speaker button, the Extended Audio addon are for those. And the flashcard addon would use those for the audio clips.

I recommend getting the Basic Package, it includes everything you need. It's cheaper than buying each addon separately. 

• Helpful 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:18 AM, mungouk said:

use a standard textbook that already has the audio recorded for you. Many of them do.

while revising used Pleco Audio, and listened to every word once. This worked well to remember the pronunciation. 

On 2/25/2022 at 6:21 PM, MoonIvy said:

You can also consider starting again but instead of adding all 110 words in one go, only add a few each day. 110 in one go might be too much for your brain to handle. Try starting from chapter 1, and only add the first 5 words, then the next day, add the next 5. If at any point, you free overwhelmed or struggling, then simply don't add any new words for a day or two. It may seem slow, but a steady pace is generally better than a whole load in one go.

I set 10 words for each revision. Weekends, I can spent more time, so today revised multiple chunks of 10 words. 

On 2/25/2022 at 8:58 AM, Tomsima said:

It is also worth saying that your experience is very normal, keep persisting and it will eventually stick. As the early words start to stick, your brain will get used to the process and become more receptive - learning words will gradually get easier and feel less frustrating. 

So true. earlier after few revisions, I left vocabulary learning unfinished. But this time I am continuing. Will completely learn until all 110 words, stick in my mind

Understand, It is up-to me how far I can continue and depends on my goals. I can go through my text book all lessons and can learn vocabulary further which I did not know plus grammar, measure words etc…Reading lessons is my next target

But want to understand from Anki lovers, how far they are going, like is there a need to focus on getting 90%.. or generally can stop stop at 80%

• 2 weeks later...

I have started learning another new Anki Deck with 70 Cards in it. The 110 Deck is with 82% Pass.

Persistence, Agile ( Learning in Small junks) are the key. I am creating Bookmark in Pleco and adding all the words and it’s components to Pleco. Learnt them. some words I can not remember while reviewing the Anki Deck, then I am cross referencing with my Pleco.

Each Individuals goals are different, we have to design our own approach to learning as per our purpose or goal.The main thing is as @Tomsima mentioned keep persisting and keep progressing. As of now keep working on Vocabulary and learning new vocabulary  daily.