Chinese-Forums

My amateurish Chinese cooking journey

Jan Finster

On 6/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, abcdefg said:

I'm currently not able to do much Chinese cooking.

I wanted to ask you this question before, but I didn't have the guts to at the time. Can I ask you why you are currently not able to do much Chinese cooking? I have no problem doing this between the rural part of America that I live in and the big city kind-of nearby, in which I stock up on whatever Chinese ingredients I'm looking for. Of course, Texas is such a huge state that it's less practical to do this. Are you that rural? If so, it's too bad.

I've had many different thoughts on-and-off about adding to this "Food and Drink" section. I can try to think more about recipes with ingredients that are available in many Western grocery stores, so they can be more accessible to more people not only in rural America, but other countries too. It would be like the time my parents immigrated to the U. S. and Chinese ingredients were hard to come by. So, I should be able to conjure up a little of what my mom did to make due, while making great dinners. (She was a far more capable cook than I am.) Hmm... I need to tap my head like Winnie the Pooh... lol...

On 6/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, MTH123 said:

I wanted to ask you this question before, but I didn't have the guts to at the time. Can I ask you why you are currently not able to do much Chinese cooking?

Difficult to explain, because it's not entirely rational. The "China Phase" of my life is over. It was great while it lasted, more than a decade. But now I have moved on to other things. Not only in cooking, but in general. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, abcdefg said:

Difficult to explain, because it's not entirely rational. The "China Phase" of my life is over. It was great while it lasted, more than a decade. But now I have moved on to other things. Not only in cooking, but in general. 

I see. That's great too. :) Although my emphasis is currently Chinese-related stuff, I'll eventually mix back in non-Chinese-related stuff too.