Chinese-Forums

Maggi seasoning

Kay Anne

• New Members

I have seen a few cooking sites that have used this (steamy kitchen for one) and have seen it in Chinese markets.

It tastes a lot like celery to me.

Is it a popular ingredient in Chinese cooking?

thanks

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:19 PM, Kay Anne said:

Is it a popular ingredient in Chinese cooking? 

It's very popular as a condiment, not so much as a cooking ingredient. I think that probably the most common use is to sprinkle a few drops of it on cooked eggs. I first encountered it as something usually provided for the eggs in a hotel restaurant. Don't think I've ever been to a hotel restaurant on the Chinese Mainland in my 12 years of living there that didn't have a bottle of Maggi next to the egg station at breakfast. 

I have a bottle of it now here in Texas and I routinely splash some on my eggs in the morning. It's a hit of umami. 

Here's some background, how it is made, and so on: 

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/how_tos/13310-boost-savory-flavor-with-maggi-seasoning 

• Like 2

I'm far from an expert in this, and I've never lived in China, but I was surprised to find that Maggi seasoning came in liquid form. In Japan, for more than yyyy years, I've only seen the product come in powdered or cubed form. The main use I had for it in cooking was as a kind of non-MSG MSG (I may be a bit naïve about that), which did seem to taste like a garlicky celery, or in chicken soup style bullion cubes used in making soups or broths.

I had also assumed it was as Japanese as sushi or sukiyaki. I never thought that it might be Chinese. I don't have any on hand, but tomorrow I will go out and check the package for the legally required notice of country of origin, or "manufactured under license" notification. I'm sure, though, that I won't have to go as far as a supermarket, any convenience store will have it on the little shelf reserved for condiments and instant soups, like those from Knorr.

I will turn this thread back over to those better qualified to advise on how to use it in cooking, especially Chinese cooking, and limit my future participation to reporting what I find written on the package about origins...

TBZ

Further comment: I just looked at the website supplied by @abcdefg, and all I can say is, "Well, I'll be dipped in Brown Sauce...!!!"

• Like 2

TBZ -- I believe it's originally Swiss. I also was surprised to learn that! Had assumed it was a Chinese invention, like Marco Polo's spaghetti. Being naive about such things myself, I had never encountered it before coming to China. The Chinese might not have invented it, but they took to it like ducks to water. I acquired the taste for it while living there, and use it to this very day. Interesting to know that it's big in Japan as well, although in a different form. Understandable, given the Japanese love of umami. 

You mentioned Knorr. It was a very popular brand in China too, although it turns out that it's German. I often used their Hot and Sour powdered soup base in Kunming. 酸辣汤。 Easy way to whip up a quick meal -- combine it with a whole handful of fresh spinach and some fresh noodles. Distresses me that I cannot find it now that I'm back in US. Seems not to be distributed here, or if so, at least not widely. 

• Like 1

@abcdefg Very, very happy to be of help on this one: Amazon.com, the US site/version will happily supply you with a wide variety of Knorr products which seem to match up with your needs. First, put knorr into the search box, then choose from the suggestions offered. I chose "knorr soups" and was rewarded with a number of useful offerings. They seem to come in small sized bulk lots : ten to twenty individual packets of a single item in any one order. Play around with it and see what you find...

Enjoy...

TBZ

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Maggi seasoning is popular in China as a condiment. It's commonly used to add a savory umami flavor to eggs as others mentioned. While it may not be used as much in cooking, quite a few folks keep a bottle on the table for sprinkling on foods. 

It adds a nice celery-like flavor boost. Seems like it's become integrated into Chinese cuisine since first being introduced.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 3:58 AM, CulturalClimber said:

Seems like it's become integrated into Chinese cuisine since first being introduced.

Yes, definitely. For a long time I thought it was a Chinese invention. Had never seen it or used it before moving to China, and suddenly it was a "must have" condiment.