Chinese-Forums

The Poetry of Li He (李贺)

Luxi

After a few years of postponements and translator changes, "The Poetry of Li He" is finally out!  

Translator: Robert Ashmore.
Editors: Sarah M. Allen, Christopher M. B. Nugent, Xiaofei Tian.

Published by De Gruyter in the Library of Chinese Humanities. As previously in this series, this book is also issued as Open Access downloadable pdf and epub.

Li He is a little known late Tang poet, but his poems are quite unique and unforgettable. He's considered the Tang equivalent of a 'poet maudit', in a same 'club' with Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Poe. He is also quite a tragic figure. He is very difficult to read in the original, his poems are full of classical allusions and double meanings, a good translation and commentaries are a must to be able to appreciate the original Chinese verses fully.  

I don't yet know how this translation compares with previoous by Frodsham's or A.C.Graham's, but it's quite a luxury to have another set of translations, especially with original and translation side by side, as is characteristic of this series.

If anyone missed the previous volumes in the Library of Chinese Humanities, here's the full catalogue.  

(I can't see any forthcoming publication in this series announced, I so hope this book isn't the last one)

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, abcdefg said:

Had not previously heard of Li He 李贺。

But you may have heard a line or two from Li He, if you're somewhat familiar with Pink Floyd's "Set the Controls for the heart of the Sun" ? ? 

I believe the side by side translations are the best way to read Chinese poetry. But Li He is a bit too much, Wang Wei and Du Fu would definitely be an easier start (Stephen Owen's translations of Du Fu are beautiful!)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...