Chinese-Forums

What is life now like for non-Chinese in China?  

Dawei3

Specifically for Americans (or other countries with whom Chinas has current conflicts):   If you were on the metro and a stranger asked you 你是哪里人, would you tell them?  

Reason for the question:  Obviously, there is much political tension between China and the US (and some other countries).  In addition, Chinese friend who lives in Singapore said she’s concerned about the safety of her American husband if they visit China.  Is her concern overblown?  

I’ve not been to China since before the pandemic and can't judge what it is like there.

In contrast to my friend's concern:  I constantly interact online with friends in China.  In addition, I’ve gotten to know many new friends during the pandemic.  The warmth & friendliness is the same as its always been.  

For those who live there or have recently visited, what are your thoughts?  Does it feel unsafe?  Or as safe as ever?  

• Good question! 1

I live a small village in the rural north of Beijing and can happily tell people where I'm from (UK); take the kids up the swings almost every day or down to the little square where folk gather in the evenings for the cool in summer and can natter about anything, though it's more often the kids or our dogs than international politics. People also keen to know how much rent you pay!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks both! 

Jim - You even answered a question I considered asking but didn't, i.e., what is it like in rural regions.  

On 8/25/2023 at 1:15 AM, Jim said:

than international politics

From my 1st trips to China, I've always been very careful to avoid discussing sensitive issues.  I found from living in England in high school it was too easy to accidentally trigger an argument and this was between countries that have been long-term allies.  (And my Chinese isn't good enough to discuss politics).  

I might go to Beijing at the end of October and it's very helpful to read both of your replies.  

Having made my bold statement above, last night at the swings a group of small boys started asking about the Opium Wars and the Eight Country Alliance burning the Summer palace so the new patriotic education is obviously doing its bit to keep resentments simmering. They weren't overly receptive to my narrative of the Chinese state's own expansion out of the Yellow River valley also being an example of the powerful pursuing their own interests by force, but it was a very civil discussion and they were in fact far more interested in which was the UK's best army tank. :D

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I went back to Hubei for the first time since 2020 this summer. I felt like there was a noticeable difference in the way people on the street were asking what country I was from, sometimes even visibly relieved to learn I was not from the US. There seems to be a tenseness in public attitudes towards foreigners returning to China at the moment, certainly more so in rural areas. I visited Hangzhou and it felt completely normal, but going further inland it does feel like people treat you with more hostility and less warm curiosity I'm afraid to say.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Dawei3 said:

For those who live there or have recently visited, what are your thoughts?  Does it feel unsafe?  Or as safe as ever?  

Hi Dawei,

I was there for 2 weeks just last week and the week before (Englishman here).

I never once felt unsafe, if anything, all my trip so far I've felt more safe than my own country! (this was my first thoughts https://youtu.be/7if88iL00Wg)

I'm actually going back to mainland tomorrow for the second of my 2x30day visa, but much more rural this time. I did Shanghai, Suzhou and Beijing last time.

The very worst you'll get is people staring at you, but I get that here in Taiwan too, so it's no biggy, and as you've been before, I suspect you already know this.

• Like 2

Oh, for those who don't know, I've been livestreaming in China (in Chinese).  Here's me in Qingdao on Chinese National Day, and here's me yesterday in Weihai.  You can see for yourself what it's like.  For me, it's quite similar now to pre-COVID conditions.  The only pandemic thing I've dealt with is scanning a QR code at the airport, and filling in a form.  Can't think of anything else.

I want to move to Weihai (well, I have moved to Weihai) because it's a less stressful place than, say, Beijing.  People here are quite friendly, and stopping to chat to random strangers is quite normal here.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

In our village we cook using bottled gas, you can change an empty twice a month when a truck from the state gas company arrives on the village square and we all queue up. You get a subsidised price too with a card they issue to residents, so we borrow the one off our landlord. Just been doing that today and most people know me at least by sight by now, or have chatted with me before when I'm out and about with the kids or the dogs and it was another neighbourly experience just now, talking about roadworks and the new policy on electric trikes that's coming in. Always wonder if there might be resentment about a foreigner getting the subsidised price but never had a hint of that, I think perhaps because we live pretty much like anyone else in the village and indeed there's plenty of locals clearly better off than we are.

• Like 2

Recently went back for the first time in 5 years. Didn’t notice anything different except that a few people are fairly convinced that America will invade China at some point. But I can’t imagine that turning into issues regarding personal safety. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Beijing at the moment, doing a very touristy week. I'm Dutch, not American or even English, but I have noticed no hostility at all. Most people are just friendly and helpful, at the Great Wall a few tourists from faraway regions were amazed at the talking monkey/foreigner, and that's it.

Very, very few foreigners though. We've been to Sanlitun, the Summer Palace, the Wall, and I think I could have counted the foreigners we saw. The number increased beyond counting only today at the Forbidden City because there were two tour groups of foreigners there.

• Like 1

I’ve found that for the most part, people are as friendly, curious (or not) and awkward (or not) as they had been pre-COVID. However, there just seem to be a lot fewer foreigners coming through. I’ve had to wait quite a while at passport/border control when entering at Shenzhen and various airports. More scrutiny than before. I’ve noticed that passport inspectors always ask me where I’ve been in China before, and they are particular about getting accurate answers going back a few years. They are clearly looking at my entry records on the computer screen as they ask about this. But they are always friendly. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Just curious, how would locals react to an American interracial couple (black man, whitish woman)? Would there be hostility or overt racism if we visit, either towards him for being black or us as an interracial couple? I understand Chinese somewhat but he does not. A little part of me is worried I'll have to accept and also make sure not to translate anything offensive they might say about him or us. Is that an overblown worry? 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:22 AM, Kellyloveszhongwen said:

A little part of me is worried I'll have to accept and also make sure not to translate anything offensive they might say about him or us. Is that an overblown worry? 

I (white woman) don't have personal experience with this, but I would have the same worry. I wouldn't expect people yelling or getting violent or anything serious like that, but occasional looks and a few remarks you'd be happy your partner doesn't understand seem likely.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 5:06 AM, Lu said:

I wouldn't expect people yelling or getting violent or anything serious like that, but occasional looks and a few remarks you'd be happy your partner doesn't understand seem likely.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That makes sense. That's kind of what I was thinking. I can completely understand looks. I know many Chinese people have never seen a Black person or interracial couple so it would be surprising if they weren't at least a little curious. And one cool thing about China is (from what I've heard) you don't need to worry about violence or people yelling at you for the most part.

I think my plan is just to pretend not to understand if they say something offensive, and leave it at that.

• 1 month later...

I'm studying in Beijing now and often go around touring the city with my German friend. She gets lots of curious looks. Occasionally some locals even ask permission to take a photo with her (and I, the Asian looking foreigner, is not invited into the photoshoot and thus becomes their photographer ?).

• Like 1